Master of Public Health
Hofstra University's Public Health Alumni Association (PHAA) has been established to build and strengthen personal and professional relationships among public health alumni and current Hofstra MPH students, faculty, public health professionals, and the community.
Our alumni hold positions in health systems, government agencies, community-based organizations, and higher education. A number of alumni received competitive post-masters fellowships in health policy and health administration. Several of our graduates are pursuing additional degrees in either clinical medicine or research. Our alumni are actively engaged in our program serving as mentors, internship supervisors, culminating experience preceptors and collaborators on health promotion events.
In addition to regularly scheduled meetings, the PHAA will work actively to establish an engaged, connected alumni network. It is PHAA's goal to promote the professional development of alumni, organize networking and mentorship programs, and plan social networking events – all in connection with the mission and vision of both Hofstra's MPH program and its graduate student organization, Society of Public Health Advocates.
The association is led by an executive board, which consists of 5 elected MPH alumni.
Master of Public Health Student Organization: Society of Public Health Advocates (SOPHA)
The Society of Public Health Advocates (SOPHA) is a public health graduate student run organization at Hofstra University. SOPHA looks to encourage environmental awareness, disease prevention, and health promotion through advocacy both at Hofstra and in the surrounding communities. The purpose of the organization is to establish opportunities of involvement in the promotion of public health on and off campus. SOPHA strives to bring awareness to the social determinants of health to minimize health disparities through community outreach and engagement.
- President: Victoria McLean
- Vice President: Alana Doonachar
- Secretary: Tari Ajeh
- Treasurer: Salman Munawar
- Social Media Manager: Gianne Gerena
- Event Manager: Yu Zheng
- Faculty Advisor: Dr. Martine Hackett
Stay connected to SOPHA happenings via Social Media and GetInvolvedHU!
GetInvolvedHU: https://hofstra.collegiatelink.net/ - Search for SOPHA and become a member!!
Public Health Alumni Ambassadors
Duties of an ambassador may include:
- Share our program brochures and flyers with your human resources department, colleagues, and friends who may be interested in either our MPH or Advanced Certificate in Foundations of Public Health. Materials would be provided for you.
- Join the program director or another MPH faculty member at a Graduate Open House or on-campus information session where you can share your experiences in the program and after graduation with prospective students.
- Help organize an information session at your place of employment (one of us will attend!).
- Participate during our National Public Health Week event series, where we engage both the campus and external communities in discussions and activities aimed at improving health.
- Serve on one of our program committees (i.e., Curriculum and Faculty Affairs; Student and Alumni Affairs; or Community Partnerships), on our Community Advisory Board, or on the Executive Board of the Public Health Alumni Association (PHAA).
If you are interested in becoming an ambassador or speaking with one, please contact Isma Chaudhry, Director, Public Health Graduate Programs.
Delta Omega Honorary Society
Delta Omega Honorary Society was founded in 1924 and currently includes 100 chapters with over 20,000 members throughout the United States and Puerto Rico. Membership in Delta Omega reflects the dedication of an individual to quality in the field of public health and to protecting and advancing the health of all people. The Delta Kappa Chapter of the Delta Omega Honorary Society at Hofstra connects public health students, alumni, and faculty to recognize and develop leadership that advances and sustains the public's health.
Additional information on Delta Omega can be found at www.deltaomega.org
President: Margaret Wayne
Vice President and Secretary: Utsavi Kapadia
Faculty Adviser: Chanapong Rojanaworarit
National Public Health Week Events
National Public Health Week not only aims to strengthen the public health profession, but to foster understanding, engagement, and support for key issues affecting the health of our communities locally, nationally and internationally. Programming each year is interactive and educational and includes fairs, panel discussions, presentations, film viewings and more. Topics vary each year but have included global health, summer safety, LGBTQ+, gun safety, health entrepreneurship, healthcare organization acquisitions and partnerships, and more.