- Hofstra University’s Reopening Plan
Note: This plan was submitted to the state of New York on July 15, 2020. Since the University’s reopening plan is evolving, the Safe Start website is the most up-to-date source of information about reopening plans and procedures.
- New York State’s Higher Education opening guidelines
- New York State’s travel advisory for states experiencing an increase in COVID-19
- New York State information on the coronavirus response
- What is contact tracing? (from the CDC)
- All about mask wearing
- CDC’s prevention portal
Student Wellness Handbook
Safe Start Instructional Video
Safe Start Posters
Facemask - Kate
Wear Your Mask Correctly
Correct Mask Wearing - Kate & Willie
CDC COVID-19 Guidelines
Get Your Steps In
Practice Physical Distancing
Public Space Guidelines
Right Masks for College Campuses
Love Your Neighbor
We're All in This Together
We're All in This Together
Be a Good Role Model
What is Contact Tracing?
Reserve Online Class Seats
Classroom Etiquette - Ver. A
Classroom Etiquette - Ver. B
Know Your Risks
- Physical distancing, face masks, and eye protection to prevent person-to-person transmission of SARS-CoV-2 and COVID-19: a systematic review and meta-analysis
- COVID-19: How much protection do face masks offer?
- Courtemanche, C. et al. (2020). Strong Social Distancing Measures In The United States Reduced The COVID-19 Growth Rate. Health Affairs, 39(7). Online report.
Summary: The study provides direct evidence on the effectiveness of widespread community use of face masks from a natural experiment that evaluates effects of state government mandates in the U.S. for face mask use in public on COVID-19 spread.
Basics on COVID-19
- COVID-19 Basics
Summary: Symptoms, spread, and other essential information about COVID-19.
- Get the Facts about COVID-19 – from the CDC
- What is Contact Tracing? – from the CDC
- Info in the Coronavirus Vaccine from the Mayo Clinic
- How to Understand COVID-19 Numbers
Summary: Guide to understanding common COVID-19 metrics and how to interpret them.
- Communicating Risks to Foster Compliance from Inside Higher Ed
Summary: Colleges are employing multipronged strategies to inform students and to encourage students to take safety precautions seriously.
Best Practices in Mask Wearing
- How to Wear a Mask – Short Explainer from the CDC
- COVID-19 Explainer on Masks – from the World Health Organization
- COVID-19: How Much Protection Do Face Masks Offer? From the Mayo Clinic
- N95 Respirators, Surgical Masks, and Face Masks – From the FDA
- Keep your nose masked. It’s a coronavirus super spreader.- Clip from NBC News
- Considerations for Wearing Cloth Face Coverings – from the CDC
- Masks and Face Coverings for the Coronavirus Pandemic - San Francisco Department of Public Health
Best Practices in Personal and Household Hygiene
- 7 Steps to Washing Your Hands Properly from Healthline
- COVID-19 Safety: Tips for Travel, Restaurants and the Gym from the Mayo Clinic
- Avoiding COVID in the Home – Infographic from WebMD
Podcasts, Trackers and Webinars on COVID-19
- Public Health Newswire: Coronavirus Podcast
- Toward the 'New Normal' — Protecting Public Health as America Reopens
- Free short course on COVID-19 from Johns Hopkins University
- Conversations with Frontline Clinicians and Experts about COVID-19 – Video Interviews
- COVID-19 Coronavirus Tracker – Updated weekly from Kaiser Family Foundation
- State Data and Policy Actions to Address Coronavirus – from Kaiser Family Foundation
Evidence of Effectiveness of Masks and Physical Distancing
- Chu, D. K., et al. (2020). Physical distancing, face masks, and eye protection to prevent person-to-person transmission of SARS-CoV-2 and COVID-19: a systematic review and meta-analysis. The Lancet, 395(10242), 1973-1987. DOI:
Summary: Evidence shows that physical distancing is highly effective and that face masks are associated with protection.
- Chughtai, A. et al. (2020). Effectiveness of Cloth Masks for Protection Against Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus 2. Emerging Infectious Diseases, 26(10). Online report.
Summary: Cloth masks fine for community and can be improved with multiple layers and careful handling.
Lyu, W. & Wehby, G.L. (2020). Community Use of Face Masks and COVID-19: Evidence From a Natural Experiment of State Mandates in the US. Health Affairs, 39(8), 1-7.
Summary: Mandating face mask use in public is associated with a decline in the daily COVID-19 growth rate.
- COVID-19 Model Projects Nearly 180,000 U.S. Deaths from Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation
Summary: High levels of mask wearing could reduce forecasted deaths by nearly 33,060.