Spring 2021 Protocols
For the spring 2021 semester, any student who will live on campus, take at least one in-person/hybrid class on campus, use services on campus (e.g. library, fitness center, dining) or work on campus must complete initial testing and comply with all New York State travel requirements. Based on New York State guidance, it is strongly recommended that all students self-quarantine for seven days prior to their return to Hofstra to reduce the likelihood of being exposed to the coronavirus before joining the campus community.
Students who are taking classes remotely (the attendance selection form for Spring 2021 will be available on January 8th, 2021 and be emailed to all students) or who have been living on campus during winter intersession are exempt from this process. At this time, you must follow Hofstra’s testing protocols regardless of your COVID-19 vaccination status.
Students who have been residing in New York State or a contiguous state (NJ, PA, CT, MA, or VT), must do the following prior to arrival:
Sign into the Hofstra portal and click the "COVID-19 Protocol" under the "Student Success Center" on the main page and complete the instructions, AND take a COVID-19 test before resuming campus activities by:
Scheduling an on-campus test in the Physical Education Building (PEB), which can be done on the Hofstra portal, through the COVID-19 protocols form, OR
- Uploading evidence of a negative COVID-19 test taken within three (3) days prior to return, OR
- Presenting documentation of a positive diagnostic result for COVID-19 from the prior 3-month period
Students travelling to New York State from a non-contiguous state must do the following prior to arrival:
Sign into the Hofstra portal and click the "COVID-19 Protocol" under the "Student Success Center" on the main page and complete the instructions. Once you have completed these instructions, you can test out of the mandatory 10-day quarantine as follows:
- Travelers must obtain a test within three (3) days of departure, prior to arrival in New York and must fill out the traveler form upon entry. Students must submit an attestation that this has been completed on the portal.
- The traveler must, upon arrival in New York, quarantine for three (3) days.
- On day four (4) of their quarantine, the traveler must obtain another COVID-19 test. If the test comes back negative, students may exit quarantine early.
Resident students who have been approved to quarantine on campus:
- Students will move into quarantine housing on the day they have been assigned.
- On day four (4) of their quarantine, students will take a COVID-19 test at the PEB. With a negative test, students may exit quarantine and move into spring housing assignment.
Commuters and resident students who have not been approved to quarantine on campus:
- Students will quarantine in NY or a contiguous state, following NYS travel advisory rules for precautionary quarantine. Students must submit an attestation on the portal that this has been completed.
- On day 4 of their quarantine, students will take a COVID-19 test, either by scheduling an on-campus test (resident students MUST choose this option) or obtaining a test off campus.
- With a negative test, students may exit quarantine and return to campus. Students will be required to upload evidence of the negative COVID-19 test prior to return.
Students can complete the steps listed above by signing onto the Hofstra portal and clicking the "COVID-19 Protocol" under the "Student Success Center" on the main page. This form will be available by mid-January.
Please continue to check the Safe Start website and your Hofstra email account as more information will be forthcoming.