When a student's application is selected for verification, this may mean that a data element in his/her application does not fit generally recognized patterns (not necessarily that the element is incorrect; it merely must be verified), or that the student was simply selected at random. HOFSTRA Student Financial Assistance Office also has the authority to select files for verification if there appears to be a conflict of information. If a student is selected for verification, the student is notified on the Student Aid Report (SAR).You will be notified by the Office of Financial Aid to submit specific information.
Federal verification regulations require the following:
- Federal financial aid cannot be disbursed until verification is complete.
- Verification may result in corrections that change your award amounts.
- Stafford Loans will not be certified until verification is complete.
- Estimated financial aid awards will be removed if verification is not completed within specified deadlines. Any deferred tuition and fees become due immediately.
- Please Keep in Mind:
- Corrections will be made for information that is not accurately provided by you could affect your ability to receive aid. You will be notified of any adjustments that need to be made. Most corrections that need to be made can be done electronically by our office. If they cannot be made electronically you will need to send your Student Aid Report (SAR) to the Federal Processor for corrections.
- If the corrections are done electronically, you will be sent an updated Student Aid Report (SAR) from the Federal Processor.
- The status of verification, confirmation of charges, and awards are indicated on the Hofstra online information system which can be accessed through your Hofstra portal at my.hofstra.edu.
- Verification must be completed no later than 90 days past the last day of your enrollment for the each academic year, or by August 31 following each academic year, whichever comes first.
- Corrections involving the Federal Processor must be made prior to mid-August.
- Verification documentation in support of Federal Stafford Loans must be provided at least 45 days prior to the end of the semester.
- If the information is not submitted with enough processing time before the deadline, it maybe too late for us to complete processing of your application.
Verification Procedure and 2011-2012 Verification Worksheet (Dependent or Independent).
- Signed 2010 Parents' Federal Income Tax Returns and all schedules
- Signed 2010 Student's (and Spouse if applicable) Federal Income Tax Return and all schedules.
Note: W-2 forms alone cannot be used for verification. If you need a copy of your tax return, call the IRS at 1-800-829-1040. Ask for a tax transcript for the calendar year of 2010. This signed form is acceptable in lieu of an actual copy of your tax return.
Verification Procedure and 2012-2013 Verification Worksheet (Dependent or Independent).
- 2011 Parents' Federal Income Tax Transcripts, all schedules and W2 forms.
- 2011 Student's (and Spouse if applicable) Federal Income Tax Transcripts, all schedules and W2 forms.
Note: Due to changes in federal regulations, photocopies of tax returns are no longer acceptable. To obtain a copy of your federal tax transcript, call the IRS at 1-800-908-9946