Student Health Services


Below are answers to the most common questions. If your question is not answered, please contact us via email and we will be happy to assist.

What should I do if I am feeling unwell?
Students should make an appointment with Student Health Services through the Medicat app in the Hofstra portal.
How do I make an appointment?
The easiest way to make an appointment is through the Medicat App, instructions for which can be found here.
How long does a visit take?
It depends on the reason for your visit. Please plan for at least a 30-minute visit. Please let the staff know if you are limited by time-constraints.
What immunizations are required for me to attend Hofstra?
Information regarding required immunizations can be found here.
How do I upload immunization records?
Immunization records are uploaded to the Medicat app in your Hofstra Portal. Further instructions can be found here.
What if I do not upload my immunization records?
Per NYS regulations (New York State Public Health Law (PHL) Section 2165, Immunization Requirements for Students, October 2013 ( any student that does not meet the immunization requirements must be excluded from attendance and medically withdrawn.
What is a secure message?
We use secure messaging to communicate with you regarding your health care. This is a confidential method of communication, and cannot be viewed by your faculty, advisor or anyone who does not have access to your Hofstra Portal. Only you should have access to your own Hofstra Portal.

A secure message is not transmitted like a standard email message. Instead, when you receive an email saying you have received a message from your healthcare provider, you must log on to your Patient Portal located on Hofstra Portal to view your messages. Secure messaging is used to provide you with general information, follow up instructions, test results and other important messages.
What does it mean to be medically withdrawn from classes?
When students are medically withdrawn from classes, that usually means that they are missing proof of the immunizations as required by New York state and/or Hofstra University. When medically withdrawn, students may not access campus, use Hofstra services, or attend class, and residential students are required to leave their residence hall.

Students and families receive multiple reminders from the University and Student Health Services prior to the deadline notifying them of this requirement. To avoid this, please keep an eye on your pride email account and call us with any questions or concerns.

Once the required documents are in the portal, SHS will verify the information and, once verified, the hold will be removed and students will be re-enrolled in their classes.
Does the University Offer health insurance?
Students who are U.S. citizens, permanent residents, or have a non-student immigration status are not required nor able to purchase insurance through Hofstra. F-1 and J-1 international students must purchase medical insurance, and are automatically enrolled and billed for their international health insurance plan through their Hofstra accounts. The insurer is Arthur J. Gallagher and Co.
Can I be seen at Student Health Services if I don’t have insurance?
Any student can be seen at Student Health Services. We strongly recommend that all students maintain health insurance coverage during their time at Hofstra. If you do not have insurance, we encourage you to visit the New York State of Health-Health Plan Marketplace to find an insurance provider.
What Services are provided at Student Health Services?
We are happy to provide a variety of services, including gynecological and reproductive healthcare. A list of our services is listed at
How is my health information handled? Will my professors/parents know why I came for an appointment?
Student Health Services is a confidential area. With few exceptions, if you are 18 years of age or older, we do not discuss your treatment with anyone else until you give us permission. We encourage all students to involve family members in their care as appropriate.
How can I request a copy of my medical records?
Patients can fill out the Medical Record Consent Release Form to request elements of, or their entire, medical record. Photo identification is required to release medical records. Email the completed form to along with a copy of your photo ID. Requests for release typically take 3-5 business days.
Does the Student Health Services staff write prescriptions?
SHS nurse practitioners can write prescriptions as clinically appropriate.
Can you excuse me from class?
Student Health Services will provide documentation that you were seen, should you request it, but this does not excuse you from class or other obligations.

The documentation we will provide you for this reason will not list a diagnosis or other private health information, except for the date you were seen and demographic information (such as your name and 700#) needed to identify you.

We encourage patients to have a discussion with their faculty regarding any absences. You do NOT have to disclose your specific health diagnosis or condition. If you still have a concern after that discussion we would encourage you to contact us.
How do I request a temporary priority parking permit?
Follow the instructions on this form to request a temporary priority parking permit.
If a student takes medication on an ongoing basis, how can prescriptions be refilled?
A student’s primary care provider (PCP) or appropriate specialist should provide the prescriptions for chronic conditions. If needed, SHS can see the patient and prescribe, but this should be discussed with the original prescriber and SHS in advance.
Do you have specialty care?
Many health concerns that students may feel need specialty referral can be managed by our team. For those patients who need evaluation by a specialist, the SHS clinical team will assist in facilitating the appointment.
What health-related items should I bring to campus?
-A copy of your insurance card
-Name, address, and telephone number of the primary care provider
-Knowledge of name and dosage of medications that have been prescribed
-Emergency contact name and telephone number(s)
-Pain reliever/fever reducer
-Hot/cold pack
-Elastic bandage
-Adhesive bandages
-Gauze pads and tape
-Over-the-counter cold/allergy relief medicines
-For contact lens wearers, have eyeglasses available (in case of injury, infection or loss)
Can Student Health Services see me for mental health concerns?
We would be glad to facilitate care relating to mental health concerns in conjunction with Student Counseling Services. Please indicate this when you are making your appointment.

To contact Student Counseling Services directly, call 516-463-2273.