Student Health Services

Immunization Requirements

Acceptable immunization records include signed or stamped copies of your immunization records from your high school nurse's office, family doctor's office, pediatrician’s office, pharmacy chains, walk-in or urgent care clinics, or local health department clinics. All documents can be obtained by requesting copies of your vaccine records without making an appointment.

Examples of immunization records include signed certificates from a health care provider, immunization registry records, military immunization records, or migrant records. All immunization records must be signed or stamped by a health care provider.

Blood tests to confirm immunity can only be used for Measles, Mumps and Rubella. If you have a blood test to confirm immunity, the official lab report must be submitted.

If you are requesting an exemption from any vaccine you must submit the exemption request form along with the supporting documentation to The exemption request can be made for medical or religious reasons, details for which can be found on the respective forms. Please note that exemptions are NOT granted automatically, nor are they “carried over” from high school or any previous institutions you may have attended.

To attend Hofstra, you must have:

  • Proof of vaccination against or documented Immunity to Measles, Mumps, Rubella (MMR)
  • Proof of vaccination against, documented immunity to OR declination of Meningitis

These immunizations must be uploaded to your Medicat Portal, instructions for which can be found here.

Please note that clinical externships may have additional medical screening and immunization requirements. Please check with your clinical coordinator for requirements.

Zucker School of Medicine


The Hofstra Northwell School of Nursing and Physician Assistant Studies

Undergraduate Nursing Graduate Nursing Physician Assistant New Student Checklist
**For GRADUATE students entering the professional phase ONLY**

New York State Requirements


In New York State, your High School will provide a copy of your immunization records to you upon your graduation.  You can also contact your childhood physician or other healthcare provider, or your local health department. Any of them should be able to provide you with immunization records or assistance in locating them. If you have questions or need assistance, please contact Student Health Services.

Measles, Mumps, Rubella (MMR)

New York State requires all students born during or after 1957 attending a college or university in the state to show proof of immunity against measles, mumps, and rubella (MMR). For many patients, these requirements were met when you received your childhood vaccines, such as MMR (Measles-Mumps-Rubella) and MMRV (Measles-Mumps-Rubella-Varicella).

Acceptable methods of satisfying this requirement include the following:

  • MEASLES – ONE of the following:
    • A. Two doses of live measles vaccine. The first dose must have been received no more than 4 days prior to the first birthday and the second dose received at least 28 days after the first dose, OR
    • .B. Healthcare provider’s documentation showing diagnosis of disease, OR
    • C. Serologic evidence of immunity. 
  • MUMPS - ONE of the following:
    • A. One dose of live mumps vaccine received no more than 4 days prior to the first birthday, OR

    • B. Healthcare provider’s documentation diagnosis of disease, OR

    • C. Serologic evidence of immunity.

  • RUBELLA – ONE of the following:
    • A. One dose of live rubella vaccine received no more than 4 days prior to the first birthday, OR
    • B. Serologic evidence of immunity

Serologic evidence of immunity must be supported by the original lab reports. Student Health services can assist in obtaining these immunizations or tests, as needed.


New York State requires all students attending a college or university in the state to be provided information regarding meningococcal disease and vaccine availability. Each student must also provide:

  • Proof of meningococcal meningitis immunization within 10 years OR
  • An acknowledgement of risks and refusal of the meningitis vaccine
    • Instructions for declining the Meningitis vaccine can be found here
  • Note that if you graduated from high school in NYS after 2014 you most likely have at least one dose of a meningitis vaccine, called MenACWY.  Student Health Services recommends students consider both MenACWY and Meningitis B immunizations. We offer both MenACWY and MenB vaccines, among others. Please contact us for an appointment.
  • View additional information regarding meningococcal disease, including how it is spread and the symptoms

On-Campus Immunizations

Student Health Services is happy to provide immunizations. This includes vaccines such as, Hepatitis A, Hepatitis B, Tetanus, Pertussis, Human Papilloma Virus (HPV) , Measles, Mumps, Rubella, Meningitis. Please contact Student Health Services to set up an appointment for evaluation and immunization.

COVID-19 vaccines and boosters are available to students at no cost through Student Health Services. Please contact us to set up an appointment.

Flu Vaccines are provided to students at no cost during the fall semester. Further information regarding on-campus vaccination sites and schedules is shared each Fall.