Traveling off-campus tips:When you leave campus be sure to:
- Let someone know where you are going if traveling by yourself and when possible travel with groups of friends.
- Check train and bus schedules to confirm that they are running on time. LIRR Website
LIRR Tune In To Safety MTA Don’t Take More Than You Can Handle
- Always be aware of your surroundings!
- If you are walking, do not become distracted by looking at your phone.
Living off-campus tips:When you leave your home for any period of time be sure to:
- Lock all windows and doors and move any valuable items that may be visible from the outside.
- Remove all extra hidden keys you may have outside and use dead bolt locks to avoid doors from being forced open.
- Make your house appear as though someone is living there:
- Ask a neighbor to take in your mail and newspaper, park their car in your driveway, and put out your trash.
- Turn off and unplug any electric appliances including but not limited to: toasters, hair dryers, curling irons, portable heaters, etc.
- Lower heat to 60 degrees to ensure pipes won’t freeze, and the boiler won’t be working in excess to provide heat.
- In Case of emergencies and to learn more about safety tips visit the Hofstra’s Public Safety Page: Public Safety. For information about the Hofstra Night Shuttle click here: Hofstra Shuttle
Be sure you DO NOT:
- Put your name or address on your key rings.
- Announce your travel plans in public or to anyone you cannot trust (including Facebook and Twitter or any other social networks).
Sign up for CANN alerts here