If you are having any difficulty using this website, please contact the Help Desk at Help@nullHofstra.edu or 516-463-7777 or Student Access Services at SAS@nullhofstra.edu or 516-463-7075. Please identify the webpage address or URL and the specific problems you have encountered and we will address the issue.

Skip to Main Content
International Student Affairs

Employment Resources and Programs

Employment is always a popular topic for international students – from working on campus to looking for off-campus internship opportunities and exploring ways to gain experience after graduation. International students are not allowed to engage in work or unpaid practical experiences off campus unless they have received the appropriate work authorization. For more information about how to obtain work authorization, please attend one of our workshops or make an appointment to speak to a member of our staff. 

  • Employment Workshops
    International Student Affairs offers workshops every semester to answer your questions and help you gain experiences that will enhance your resume but also maintain your lawful presence as an international student.
  • Working On Campus
    International students are eligible to work on campus for up to 20 hours during the fall and spring semesters and more than 20 hours during the university breaks. Please note that due to Hofstra University policy, J-1 and Academic English program students are not allowed to work on campus.
  • Filing Taxes
    All international students are required to file taxes, regardless of whether they earned income in the U.S. 
  • F-1 Curricular Practical Training (CPT) Employment
    F-1 international students may be authorized for Curricular Practical Training (CPT) after completing one academic year. International students must receive a new I-20 with CPT authorization from International Student Affairs in order to begin hours for an internship, student teaching, externship, volunteer or any other practical experience off campus.
  • F-1 Optional Practical Training (OPT) Employment
    F-1 international students may be authorized to work off campus for 12 months before or after graduation through Optional Practical Training (OPT). Students must apply for OPT and gain approval from United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS)  before beginning employment. The USCIS processing time for OPT applications is 3 - 5 months.
  • F-1 Severe Economic Hardship
    Severe Economic Hardship Employment is an off-campus work authorization for F-1 students who are experiencing serious financial difficulties caused by unforeseen circumstances beyond their control.