If you are having any difficulty using this website, please contact the Help Desk at Help@nullHofstra.edu or 516-463-7777 or Student Access Services at SAS@nullhofstra.edu or 516-463-7075. Please identify the webpage address or URL and the specific problems you have encountered and we will address the issue.

Skip to Main Content
International Student Affairs

Filing U.S. Taxes

Please be advised that International Student Affairs cannot provide tax advice or help you to file your taxes. You must prepare and file the appropriate IRS forms yourself, or seek the assistance of a professional tax consultant if you cannot complete the forms on your own. Everyone's tax filing requirements depend on their unique situation. Therefore, please do not rely on information given to you by anyone other than a professional tax consultant.

It is important that you determine your personal U.S. tax liability. Many F-1 and J-1 international students may need to file IRS Form 8843, regardless of whether they earned income in the U.S. Students who earned income or have other special circumstances may be required to file other IRS forms, such as Form 1040-NR or Form 1040, depending on your resident status for tax filing purposes. For detailed tax information, please call the Internal Revenue Service or visit their web site.

You can also locate and make an appointment at a Taxpayer Assistance Center or other tax clinic in your local area. When making an appointment, be sure to request staff who are knowledgeable about non-U.S. citizen tax filing requirements.

Information to bring to a tax appointment:

  • Passport/visa/I-94 for yourself and all dependents
  • DS-2019 or I-20
  • Social Security Number (SSN) or International Taxpayer Identification Number for yourself and all dependents
  • Address Information (both U.S. and foreign)
  • U.S. entry and exit dates and prior visit information
  • Academic institution or host sponsor information
  • All tax forms (if any): W-2, 1098, 1042-S, 1099 
  • Any scholarship or fellowship grant letters
  • A copy of last year’s tax return (if any)
  • Information on all deductions/credits, e.g. childcare provider's name, address, SSN or Tax ID number
  • Bank account number for direct deposit