Apply For a Driver's License or Non-Driver Photo ID Card
You must have a New York State Driver's License (DL) to drive in New York. If you intend to drive, you must get your New York DL within 30 days of moving to New York State. If you have a valid driver's license from another U.S. state or territory, federal district or Canadian province, you may be able to exchange it for a New York driver's license. If your license is from outside the U.S. or Canada, you have an International Driving Permit, or if you have never had a driver's license, you need to apply for a Learner’s Permit first at a Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) office. The Learner’s Permit allows new drivers to gain actual driving experience while being supervised by a licensed driver riding in the same car. After obtaining a Learner’s Permit, a driver's license test may be scheduled with the New York State DMV to test your driving abilities and knowledge of local road rules. You must pass the test to obtain a driver’s license.
A person of any age who does not intend to drive can apply to the DMV for a non-driver photo ID card (NDID). We strongly recommend that you apply for a DL or a NDID once you start classes at Hofstra University. Please carry your DL or NDID with you instead of your passport and keep your passport in a safe place.
You must provide original documents when you apply for a DL or NDID. You can fill out the application form (Form MV-44) at the DMV or download it from: http://www.dmv.ny.gov/forms/mv44.pdf. For quicker service, we recommend that you make a reservation online before going to the DMV office.
When applying, you must show proof of your name:
- If you have your Social Security Card, you must have 4 points of proof of name in addition to your Social Security Card.
- If you do not have a Social Security Card, you must have 6 points of proof of name.
All proofs of name must show the same name. For students who transferred from another U.S. institution, please make sure you pick up your continued attendance I-20 before you go to the DMV.
See how many points the different types of proof accepted by the DMV are worth in the table below. Be sure you have the correct total amount of points you need.
|Number of Points||Type of Proof|
* Individuals with F1 (student) or F2 (spouse or child of student) status must also show the original INS/DHS form I-20, with any subsequent I-20 and “notice of approval” (if appropriate). Those with J1 (exchange visitor) or J2 (spouse or child of exchange visitor) status must also show the original INS/DHS form DS-2019 with any subsequent IAP-66 forms and “notice of approval” (if appropriate).
Garden City DMV Office (DL tests are NOT given at this location)
801 Axinn Avenue
Garden City, NY 11530
Directions via Meadowbrook Parkway:
- Depart Hofstra Blvd toward RT-24 W / Hempstead Tpke / Hempstead-Bethpage Tpke
- Turn left onto RT-24 E / Hempstead Tpke / Hempstead-Bethpage Tpke
- Take ramp right for Meadowbrook Parkway North toward Mineola
- At exit M2 E, take ramp right toward Zeckendorf Blvd
- Keep straight onto Dibblee Dr
- Turn left onto Zeckendorf Blvd
- Turn right onto E Gate Blvd, and then immediately turn left onto Axinn Ave
- Arrive at 801 Axinn Ave, Garden City, NY 11530