International Student Scholarships and Loans
Looking for scholarships and loans for international students? The reality is that there is very little financial aid available from United States sources for international students. International student scholarships are very hard to secure. The majority of international students in the U.S. must rely exclusively on themselves and their relatives for funding. If you need to obtain financial aid or an international student scholarship to afford an American education, the best place for you to look is your home country. There may be international student scholarships and international student loans available for study abroad from your government, or from local businesses, organizations, and foundations in your home country.
Other places to look for international student scholarships, international student loans and other forms of international student aid are international humanitarian organizations that want to promote international education and cultural exchange with the U.S.A. Included in these organizations are the United Nations, the World Health Organization, the League of Red Cross Societies, and the World Council of Churches. Some of these organizations have restricted financial aid; international student scholarships or aid may only be available to graduate students, students from a specific ethnic group, or students who have chosen a specific course of study. Financial aid and scholarships from these organizations are very competitive, so you need to start your search early.
Finally, there are also many universities in the U.S. that provide financial aid and international student scholarships to international students. However, this aid is usually limited and is often more readily available to graduate than undergraduate students. Furthermore, competition for international student scholarships and aid is fierce, and schools are careful to help out the most deserving international students. Good grades and exam scores are extremely important in securing an international student scholarship. Find out whether any of the schools that you would like to apply to have grants, loans or scholarships for international students. If they don’t, and you have not been able to obtain enough funding on your own, you may have to consider other schools that will help
Below are some links for websites that provide information on international student scholarships and financial aid for international students:
- AAUW – This organization provides fellowships for international graduate students who are women.
- American Councils for International Education – The councils provide international student grants and fellowships to international students from the form Soviet republics.
- AMIDEAST – This organization provides grants for international students from the Middle East and North African.
- Education USA – This site promotes U.S. higher education around the world by offering information about educational institutions in the United States and guidance to qualified individuals on how best to access those opportunities.
- EduPASS: The Smart Student Guide to Studying in the US – This site provides a free scholarship search for international students wishing to study in the US.
- Fulbright – Fulbright grants are available for international students in graduate school.
- Institute for International Education – The institute publishes a book titled Funding for U.S. Study: A Guide for Citizens of Other Nations that provides information on hundreds of grants and international student scholarships offered by governments, foundations and international organizations.
- InternationalScholarships.com – Browse financial aid opportunities by location and field of study.
- International Student Loans – This site offers loans to international students, so long as the international student loan is co-signed by an American citizen.
- NAFSA: Association of International Educators – Provides financial aid information primarily for international students with nonimmigrant visas (F-1, J-1, etc.).
- Rotary International – This organization provides some limited international student scholarships.
- ScholarshipExperts.com – This site helps international students who want to study with the USA with time-saving international student scholarship search tools. It also contains advice sections for international students.
- The Soros Foundation Network – This foundation offers international student scholarships for undergraduate and graduate students. Many are restricted to students from specific countries.
- Student Expert – This site provides information on scholarships at both the undergraduate and graduate levels.
- US Scholarship Info – This is a resource for college scholarship and grant information for US and international students wishing to study abroad.