If you are having any difficulty using this website, please contact the Help Desk at Help@nullHofstra.edu or 516-463-7777 or Student Access Services at SAS@nullhofstra.edu or 516-463-7075. Please identify the webpage address or URL and the specific problems you have encountered and we will address the issue.

Skip to Main Content
International Student Affairs

Travel Endorsements

Traveling Outside of the United States

A travel endorsement is required if you will be traveling outside of the U.S. The travel endorsement is a signature provided by the International Student Affairs staff on the second page of your original I-20 or DS-2019. The signature confirms that you are maintaining your F-1 or J-1 visa status and will be checked by an immigration official when you re-enter the U.S. after traveling abroad.

Your I-20 or DS-2019 can be signed if you are eligible and intend to continue your studies at Hofstra, or are on authorized optional practical training after completion of your coursework or studies. It cannot be endorsed if you have completed your program, but have not yet obtained optional practical training employment authorization.

A travel signature is good for one year or until the program completion date listed on the I-20 or DS-2019. For students on post-completion optional practical training, the signature is only valid for six months. If your current travel signature will expire before you return to the U.S., you must request a new travel signature.

To get a travel signature, you must fill out a Travel Endorsement Request Form. You can fill out this form at International Student Affairs or you can print it, fill it in, and bring it with you to speed up the process. Please also bring your immigration documents (passport, visa, and original I-20 or DS20-19) with you.

You do not need to make an appointment to get a travel signature, simply come to the ISA office during our business hours. Please see our schedule for more information.

For more specific information about traveling outside of the U.S., please visit http://www.ice.gov/sevis/travel/faq_f2.htm#_Toc81222015