Discovery Program Participant Feedback
Discovery Program Quotes from Students
1. What will you remember most about your Discovery Program experience?
“Everything! This entire experience was AMAZING!!”
“I will remember the long hours of service that were comforted by warming thank yous.”
“The friends I made and the people we helped. It was such a worthwhile experience and a great way to start my college career.”
2. How did you grow/change from this opportunity?
“I now feel completely prepared for college and I know all about service activities that I can do while I’m here! I also made connections with people before the rest of my class even arrived on campus!”
“I became more comfortable going into the college environment. I think I’ve transitioned into the maturity level of a college student. It has opened my eyes to NYC in a different way.”
“I have met a few of my future classmates, ventured from my comfort zone and learned about ways to get involved throughout my upcoming years at Hofstra. I feel charged and ready to continue acts of service in our local community.”
“I became both more environmentally aware and aware of the compassion I currently show towards others.”
“I can see how I was narrow minded when I joined this program and my eyes have opened to the reality of homelessness and selflessness.”
“I grew emotionally by stepping out of my comfort zone into not only a whole new region, but also a whole new economic class. I feel better educated and cultured through this experience.”
“I learned that there are more types of gifts than monetary ones that can truly make a difference in the lives of the less fortunate.”
“I’ve become more confident and gained confidence to become a leader, whether it’s volunteering or talking to strangers about pressing issues.”
“I will be more open to listening to others and help hear their needs and recognize the need for communication about these issues to others.”
-S. Kalyn Gambord
“My eyes were opened to what needs to be done and how it can be accomplished.”
“I became more aware of the fact that I really want to continue to lead in community service, and be really serious about it at Hofstra.”
3. Who would you thank? Why?
“Every single person involved in creating this program because it was the perfect way to start my college career!”
Discovery Program Stats
- After the program, 92% of the students felt a connection to Hofstra, 46% felt a connection to Hempstead, and 62% felt a connection to NYC.
- Before the program, 18% thought the main reason for homelessness was “lack of motivation.” Afterwards, 0% thought this was the main reason.
- 87% reported being thankful to have gone through the program
- 83% reported that the Discovery Program impacted their views about conservation or compassion
- 86% reported that their involvement in the Discovery Program positively impacted their adjustment to college