Application Deadline is August 1, 2017
Students can select a path that best suits their interests; each path provides interactive programs and experiences. Please note selection of paths is on a first-come-first-serve basis.
Discovery Path I – Community Awareness
This path focuses on working with organizations that help develop and empower communities in need. Participants may:
- Paint a local elementary school playground.
- Serve the guests at a local soup kitchen.
- Help maintain the facilities of a homeless shelter.
- Visit the United Nations in New York City.
- Distribute food – that otherwise would have been thrown out – to those in need with Food Not Bombs.
- Work with Hofstra's Center for Civic Engagement.
Students in these majors would benefit from this path: Political Science, Religion, Sociology, American Studies, Psychology, Communication, Liberal Studies, Community Health, Health Science.
Discovery Path II – Outdoor Exploration
This outdoor path focuses on providing students an opportunity to explore the outdoors, challenges them to take risks, and allows them the time to reflect on living life intentionally. Participants may:
- Camp overnight at a New York state park, reflecting on being in nature.
- Participate in outdoor activities including kayaking, hiking, and biking.
- Visit a local Indian Reservation and learn about Long Island heritage.
Students in these majors would benefit from this path: Global Studies, Geography, Biology, Psychology, Environment & Sustainability, Geology, Physical Education.
Discovery Path III – Leadership
This path focuses on helping students to find and enhance the leader within. Students in this path will learn their leadership style as well as experience firsthand what it means and what it takes to be a leader among fellow peers. Participants may:
- Attend a leadership summit in Manhattan.
- Participate in intensive team building activities such as a high and low ropes course.
- Participate in and/or watch a Ted Talk.
Students in these majors would benefit from this path: Entrepreneurship, Management, Education, Political Science, Legal Studies.