Welcome Week Staff
It takes a lot of people to make the hundreds of events run smoothly during Welcome Week! Our staff is comprised of a number of professional staff and two groups of student leaders who work in planning and implementing programs to ensure our students feel welcomed to Hofstra University.
Welcome Week Coordinators (WWC) are the heart and soul of our program. They are students who have had prior leadership experience and help plan and implement the program. Welcome Week Coordinators serve in conjunction with the Orientation Staff. The WWC role mirrors the overall new Student Orientation program in that it is two parts: summer orientation and welcome week. During summer orientation, Welcome Week Coordinators have overlapping responsibilities with Orientation Leaders. In addition to planning the Welcome Week Program, WWC's are expected to provide support and serve as a resource to incoming students. WWC's are also expected to facilitate evening programs and morning check in during summer orientation, and interact with our new incoming students.
There are 3 Welcome Week Coordinators and each has their own set of tasks. The staff works together closely to support each other, but the specific titles are:
o Logistics, Technology & Business Coordinator – Works with various departments to put in work orders and room reservations, creates the schedule in Guidebook, works with catering on placing food orders, bringing in new vendors for tabling during Welcome Week and updating social media.
o Programming Coordinator – Plans Explore Next Door Trips (ideas, booking and coordinating travel), books outside presenters and vendors for late night activities (DJ’s, trivia, carnival games, etc).
o Welcome Week Leader Coordinator – Responsibilities include: recruit, hire, train and schedule Welcome Week Leaders, organize club fair during 8 orientation session as well as the large club carnival during Welcome Week.
Interested in applying to be a Welcome Week Coordinator for Summer 2018? Attend an Orientation Staff Info Session in Student Center Plaza West – please choose one:
- February 5, 2018 at 5:15pm
- February 6, 2018 at 5:15pm
- February 7, 2018 at 11:30am
- February 8, 2018 at 3:45pm
- February 9, 2018 at 11:00am and 3:00pm.
Welcome Week Leaders
Welcome Week Leaders are the 100+ student volunteers who run our planned events and programs, workshops, tours and ensure that students feel comfortable at their new home away from home. Are you a current undergraduate student interested in becoming a Welcome Week Leader for 2018? See the column on the right for more information and see if you qualify!
Welcome Week Coordinators Summer 2017
From left to right: Kayla Rozanski, Eric McLenithan and Kennedy Cymerman
Kennedy Cymerman ('20) is a sophomore Drama Major and Music Minor from Buffalo, NY. For Welcome Week 2017, she will be coordinating all of the programs during the week including END trips to NYC, educational seminars and many social events. Welcome Week is such a memorable way to kick off your freshman year and your Hofstra career. During her Welcome Week, she remembers meeting so many new people that she is even friends with today, and also going on a scavenger hunt in Central Park. Kennedy can't wait to provide incoming freshman the same, amazing experience that she had!
Eric McLenithan ('20) is a sophomore management major, who is currently undecided if he will change his major for the third time. He hails from the Green Mountain state (Vermont). One short year ago, during his welcome week, he remembers meeting his best friends, while fully experiencing and enjoying all of the events. Throughout this summer, he will be busy handling the logistics and running the social media for Welcome Week 2017. Eric is extremely excited to welcome incoming first-years into the place that he is happy to call home!
Kayla Rozanski ('19) is a junior Music Education major from Bristol, CT. Kayla's role in this Welcome Week is to recruit, hire and train the Welcome Week Leaders who play a vital role in making everything possible. She also will be organizing the club fair to easily assist the first year students in getting involved in the Hofstra community! She remembers that her Welcome Week was where she met so many of her friends, joined clubs and exactly when she knew Hofstra was her home! Kayla is excited to Welcome the Class of 2021 and give them the best first few days of their Hofstra experience!
Become A Welcome Week Leader!
What does a Welcome Week Leader (WWL) do?
- Mentor and guide a group of 15-25 first-year students in their initial days on campus
- Connect students to appropriate resources and ease their transition to college
- Lead icebreakers to help students connect with one another
- Attend and assist with Welcome Week events such as New Student Barbecue, Student Center Carnival, and more
What are the perks of being a WWL?
- Move-in early to Fall housing for resident student
- Hofstra apparel
- Group meals and meal card during shifts
- Develop leadership and interpersonal skills
- Great springboard to other leadership opportunities at Hofstra
What qualities are you looking for in WWLs?
- Positive attitudes
- Hofstra Pride
- Ability to foster an inclusive environment
- Team player
- Communication skills
What are the requirements of being a WWL?
- GPA of 2.5 or higher
- No active community standards violations
- Must participate in MANDATORY training from August 27 – 29, 2018. This training is put together by Welcome Week Coordinators and various offices around campus to help give resources, contacts and information about life at Hofstra (and important info for new students). This is also a time to make connections with other WWLs!
- Be available during Welcome Week (Thursday, August 30 – Monday, September 3, 2018) to help acclimate new students to the Hofstra family!
- Completed application submitted online by Friday May 18, 2018 at 5pm