Welcome Week Staff
It takes a lot of people to make the hundreds of events run smoothly during Welcome Week! Our staff is comprised of a number of professional staff and two groups of student leaders who work in planning and implementing programs to ensure our students feel welcomed to Hofstra University.
Welcome Week Coordinators (WWC) are the heart and soul of our program. They are students who have had prior leadership experience and help plan and implement the program. Welcome Week Coordinators serve in conjunction with the Orientation Staff. The WWC role mirrors the overall new Student Orientation program in that it is two parts: summer orientation and welcome week. During summer orientation, Welcome Week Coordinators have overlapping responsibilities with Orientation Leaders. In addition to planning the Welcome Week Program, WWC's are expected to provide support and serve as a resource to incoming students. WWC's are also expected to facilitate evening programs and morning check in during summer orientation, and interact with our new incoming students.
Welcome Week Coordinators Summer 2018
From left to right: Logan Kinkade, Kiran Ahmad and Ellen Boyle
Logan Kinkade ('20) is a junior Fine Arts Design major, Drama minor, from Russellville, Arkansas. As a recent transfer, Welcome Week 2017 was where Logan met some of her closest friends, found sisters, and started her life here at Hofstra! Throughout the summer, she will manage the logistics and run the social media for Welcome Week 2018. Logan can’t wait to welcome the first-year, and transfer, students to their new home here at HU!
Kiran Ahmad ('20) is an Economics major with a minor in Philosophy of Law in the Legal Education Accelerated Program (LEAP) and comes from New Jersey. As the Programming Coordinator, she will be organizing all of the programs during the week including Explore Next Door trips to NYC, educational seminars and various other social events. Welcome Week was an amazing experience for her and granted her a smooth transition into college, so much so that she served as a Welcome Week Leader in 2017. Kiran is excitedly anticipating Welcome Week 2018 and looks forward to embracing the incoming class!
Ellen Boyle (‘19) is a senior TV/Video & Business major from Montville, NJ. Ellen’s role in this Welcome Week is to recruit, hire, and train the Welcome Week Leaders who play a vital role in making the 5 days run smoothly. She also organizes the club fair that assists the first-year students to get involved in the Hofstra community. Three years ago, Ellen’s time at Welcome Week helped calm her nerves about coming to college, and gave her the opportunity to get involved in clubs that she is still a part of. Ellen cannot wait to welcome the class of 2022 and help them make memories in a new place to call home.
Welcome Week Leaders
Welcome Week Leaders are the 100+ student volunteers who run our planned events and programs, workshops, tours and ensure that students feel comfortable at their new home away from home. Are you a current undergraduate student interested in becoming a Welcome Week Leader for 2018? See the column on the right for more information and see if you qualify!
Become A Welcome Week Leader!
What does a Welcome Week Leader (WWL) do?
- Mentor and guide a group of 15-25 first-year students in their initial days on campus
- Connect students to appropriate resources and ease their transition to college
- Lead icebreakers to help students connect with one another
- Attend and assist with Welcome Week events such as New Student Barbecue, Student Center Carnival, and more
What are the perks of being a WWL?
- Move-in early to Fall housing for resident student
- Hofstra apparel
- Group meals and meal card during shifts
- Develop leadership and interpersonal skills
- Great springboard to other leadership opportunities at Hofstra
What qualities are you looking for in WWLs?
- Positive attitudes
- Hofstra Pride
- Ability to foster an inclusive environment
- Team player
- Communication skills
What are the requirements of being a WWL?
- GPA of 2.5 or higher
- No active community standards violations
- Must participate in MANDATORY training from August 27 – 29, 2018. This training is put together by Welcome Week Coordinators and various offices around campus to help give resources, contacts and information about life at Hofstra (and important info for new students). This is also a time to make connections with other WWLs!
- Be available during Welcome Week (Thursday, August 30 – Monday, September 3, 2018) to help acclimate new students to the Hofstra family!
- Completed application submitted online by Friday May 18, 2018 at 5pm