What to Bring
Below are some ways you can prepare before your orientation session.
Please refer to the following checklist to prepare for New Student Orientation.
- Read the common reading material that will be used as the basis for the model class during New Student Orientation. You will receive more information about this in the confirmation e-mail.
- Send official transcripts for Advanced Placement credit, college credits or credits for any other special programs to the Office of Undergraduate Admission.
- Take your online language placement exam and math assessment.
- Send verification of immunization for measles, mumps and rubella (MMR), if it is not already on file with the University. It is extremely important that each student provides the University with updated verification of vaccinations. Students who do not comply with this New York state law will be removed from classes. Contact the Hofstra University Wellness Center at (516) 463-6745 with any questions.
These are the things you need to bring to your orientation session
- An alarm clock
- Your Hofstra ID number it starts with a 70xxxxxxx
- A government issued ID i.e. license or passport (so that they may take their Hofstra Card photo)
- Immunization forms (if they have not yet sent them in)
- Any transcripts for AP or college credit
- Pillow, sheets, towels, blankets.
- Hygienic needs i.e. body wash, hand soap, shampoo, toothbrush, toothpaste, feminine hygiene products
- Comfortable clothing and shoes (we walk a lot!)
- Sweatshirt or jacket (it can get chilly inside due to AC)
- Workout clothes (if they want to participate in an optional trip to check out Hofstra’s Fitness Center)
- Umbrella or rain gear (just in case)
- Extra spending money for the bookstore and/or vending machines on campus
- Your copy of the common reading book for the model class.
- Any medications or daily prescriptions you may need
- Laptop/tablet (this can be helpful in looking up classes to register for prior to meeting with your advisor)
- Water bottle and snacks (we provide three meals a day, but feel free to bring this for throughout the day/at night)
- Dance majors must bring dance shoes and clothes with (you will be meeting with Hofstra’s Dance Department during Orientation)