If you are having any difficulty using this website, please contact the Help Desk at Help@nullHofstra.edu or 516-463-7777 or Student Access Services at SAS@nullhofstra.edu or 516-463-7075. Please identify the webpage address or URL and the specific problems you have encountered and we will address the issue.

Skip to Main Content
The campus at Hofstra University

Getting Started with Student Employment

An on-campus job offers more than just a paycheck and short commute!  It's an opportunity to build skills and gain experience that will prepare you for your future career. As with any other job search, landing an on-campus job is a competitive process.

You can start applying for on-campus employment once you have enrolled (at least half–time) for classes.

 Students (U.S. Citizens)International Students
Enrollment Requirement Half-time Full-time
   Undergraduate 6 credit hours 12 credit hours
   Graduate 4.5 credit hours 9 credit hours
Work Hour Limits Up to 25 hours per week* Up to 20 hours per week*

*During holiday/school breaks and summer, you may be able to work up to 30 hours based on office needs and manager approval.  Overtime is PROHIBITED.

Things You Should Know Before You Begin Working:

Come into Office of Student Employment prior to your start date to complete the correct paperwork in order to be eligible to start working.

  • United States Citizenship and Immigration Services Form I-9 is required to verify your eligibility to work in the US.  Acceptable forms of identification are listed at www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-9.pdf.  All forms of identification must be original and unexpired. We cannot accept photo copies or faxes of identification
  • Hours and wage rates vary depending on department needs, job description and student skills. Student wages begin at the applicable federal minimum wage, and are based on the nature of the work to be done, the skills required and/or the length of time the student has held the job. All payments are made directly to the student in compliance with applicable laws and are considered taxable income.
  • If you have not been paid by Hofstra previously you will need to complete payroll tax forms, a W-4 Employee Withholding Allowance Certificate and a New York State Withholding form.  Any employee who claims “Exempt” from withholding is required to complete a new W-4 form by February 16th of each year to continue being exempt for the following year. Otherwise, his/her exemption will become single with 0. 
  • Students are paid by check according to the dates set forth on the Student Pay Information Sheet.
  • Students are permitted to work in only one position on-campus at a time. 

For International Students:

International students must bring the following forms of identification to the office once hired:

  • Passport
  • I–94
  • SEVIS I–20
  • Social Security Card

Click here to find out more information about working on campus.

International students are eligible to work on campus up to 20 hours when classes are in session during the fall and spring semesters and up to 30 hours during the university breaks.

International students who are authorized to work in the U.S. AND have a job offer may apply for a SSN.  Click here to find out about applying for a Social Security Number. 

All international students are required to file taxes, regardless of whether they earned income in the U.S. Click here to find out about filing Taxes.