The following is a brief description of the TELEPHONE, VOICEMAIL and CABLE TV services offered in every dorm room on campus. If at any time you encounter difficulties, please call the Telecommunications Department by dialing ext. 36602.
Each student will be assigned the following:
- Your own personal phone number for incoming calls. This personal phone number will ring on the phone in your room.
- Your personal number will have a voice mailbox enabling you to receive private messages, which can be retrieved by using a personal voicemail code.
- Cable Television Service is available to all students living on campus. You will need to have a cable-ready TV or VCR to access this service.
- Your extension and voice mailbox number are the last five digits of your phone number beginning with a "3."
- To initialize your voice mailbox, dial 3-5000, then #, then your mailbox number.
- A recording will ask you to put in your temporary password, which is 1-2-3-4-5.
- Change your password to one only you know. It must be at least 5 digits long, but no more than 11 digits.
- You will be prompted to record your first and last name, and a personal greeting message. Please note we do not have faxing capabilities on our voicemail system. Please disregard the fax instructions.
- For more information on the voicemail system, Click Here.
NOTE: If your voicemail has not been reset, you will hear a previous student's name. If this is the case, call the Telecommunications Department by dialing 36602 and ask to have your voicemail reset. You must call from your room phone, and provide us with your full name, extension, room number and building name.
Busy Signal Fix - Dial *66 (Automatic Call Back) - Allows you to redial the last call on-campus you placed. This feature is activated on a per call basis by dialing *66 when you hear a busy signal. The system will redial for up to 30 minutes. To deactivate this feature before the 30 minutes are up, dial *86.
Not in Time - Dial *69 (Automatic Recall) - Allows you to recall the last incoming call from on-campus without having to know the telephone number of that call. This feature is activated on a per call basis by dialing *69. If the number is busy, the system will continue to try the call for up to 30 minutes. To deactivate this feature before the 30 minutes are up, dial *89.
Receiving Malicious Calls - Dial *57 (Customer-Originated Trace) - Tracks the number of an annoying, obscene or harassing phone call (even if it's a nonpublished number). If you receive an inproper call, hang up, listen for a dial tone and dial *57. You will hear a 2-beep confirmation tone, then hang up. Do this before a new call is received. You should call Public Safety at 3-6789 to report the call.
Speed Calling *59 - Allows you to assign a one-digit code for up to 10 frequently called phone numbers. To program, dial *59 + single digit code + phone number + #. To place a call, dial * + single digit code.
Call Waiting - Notifies you when another call is coming through to your line while you are on the phone. You will hear a distinctive beep. To retrieve the new call, press the "Link" button to be connected to the second caller, and to toggle back and forth between calls. If you choose not to be connected to the second call, that call will be answered by voicemail after 24 seconds. If you hang up in less than 24 seconds, the phone will ring to connect you to the waiting party. NOTE: There will be different call waiting tones for each phone number associated with the phone.
Three-Way Calling - While on an existing call, to add a third party to the call, press the "Link" button and dial the new party. When that party answers, press the "Link" button to return to the original caller.
Call Transfer - To transfer a call to another on-campus number, press the "Link" button and dial the on-campus extention you want to transfer the call to. When that party answers, press the "Link" button again to complete the transfer, then hang up.