Music Education: M.S.Ed.
This program leads to New York state initial teacher certification, valid for the teaching of music in all grades. This is a comprehensive program which aims to integrate on–campus course work with field experiences in a variety of school settings, culminating in full-time student teaching. Literacy, multicultural education, and technology are integrated throughout all aspects of the program. This program supports and reflects the national and New York State Learning Standards for the Arts.
Program Requirements - Semester Hours: 38
The major in Music Education consists of a minimum of 38 semester hours of course work, including each of the following:
- Introductory Courses - Semester Hours: 10
- General Methods Courses - Semester Hours: 4
- Special Methods and Curriculum Courses - Semester Hours: 9
- Electives Supporting the Content Area of Certification - Semester Hours: 6
- Student Teaching and Corequisite Seminars - Semester Hours: 9
For more detailed information, including a listing of the classes in the aforementioned categories, please visit the Hofstra Bulletin.
For more information on the admission requirements, please visit the Admission Requirements page.Contact Information for this program:
Nathalie Robinson, Ed. D.
Associate Professor of Music
Director of the Undergraduate and Graduate Music Education Degree Programs
Phone: (516) 463-4514