Programs and Traditions
Seniors, we are looking forward to a year of fun and excitement as Hofstra supports you as you advance toward your goal of graduation and starting your career or continuing your education! Find out more about the Class of 2014 and the resources and events to make your senior year special!
And make sure you take advantage of the Backpack to Briefcase Senior Seminars. These monthly workshops are offered to give seniors an opportunity to learn some important tips and refine some last minute skills to be fully prepared for life after graduation. Workshop topics range from budget management, to apartment-hunting, to interview and job negotiation skills, and more! Seniors – catch as many workshops as you can throughout the year and become eligible to win Hofstra Senior Week tickets, Gala tickets, or a Hofstra diploma frame. Contact email@example.com with any questions.
Class of 2015
It's your junior year! If you haven't done so already, this is the year to meet with the Career Center to discuss internships and career opportunities, develop your leadership skills by refining your campus involvement and give back by participating in service opportunities.
Class of 2016
Sophomores, the second year of courses at Hofstra offers you the opportunity for more personal development and exploration of yourself and resources and involvement opportunities on campus. We hope this list of events and resources starts you on your journey for better defining what you want your experience to be like during your four years at Hofstra!
Class of 2017
First year Hofstra students, this is an exciting time for you as you adapt to your new environment at Hofstra. There are many resources and programs beyond Welcome Week that will continue to assist you in your transition at Hofstra University. Whether you are on an Explore Next Door (END) Trip into New York City or registering for the first time with your peers during the Fall semester there are many traditional events that will continue throughout your first year!
Transfer students you have a unique opportunity to begin at Hofstra with experience from another institution while meeting new peers, faculty and staff at Hofstra and finding your niche here! We have collected many resources for you and planned programs throughout Welcome Week for you to meet new students and get comfortable with the campus prior to classes starting.
September 11th Memorial
Each year we remember those who lost their lives, those whose lives were saved, and all whose lives were changed forever by the tragedies that occurred on September 11th. Plant a flag in the Circle of Remembrance and join the Hofstra community on 9/11 at the Memorial Service (Noon at CV Starr Labyrinth) to remember Hofstra Alumni who have died due to September 11th.
Domestic Violence Awareness Month
This month (October) of educational programs helps teach the Hofstra community about relationships and dating and what to do if you or someone you know is in an abusive relationship. Programs include speakers, an annual walk, and various interactive opportunities for students to learn about the dangers of Domestic Violence. For a list of resources about Domestic Violence click here.
Alcohol Awareness Week
This week of programs helps educate the Hofstra community about the dangers of alcohol. In addition, we work to educate students about the alternatives to drinking through their college years and beyond. Our goal is to give students the information they need to make healthy choices.
Hofstra Celebrates the Holidays
This Hofstra tradition works to celebrate and educate the Hofstra community about the various holidays and traditions that are celebrated world-wide. Student clubs and organizations paint the Student Center Main Dining Room windows to display their interpretation of these events. As well, they create crafts at each window and invite local groups such as the Hempstead Boys and Girls Club to join them to enjoy the windows and interact with Hofstra students through various fun activities.
Safe Spring Break
The goal of Safe Spring Break Week is to educate students about the various dangers that can occur on a spring break trip. We aim to give students the information they need to make informed decisions about health, stress, and responsibility not only during spring break but through their entire lives. For Safe Spring break tips click here.
This series of events work to limit the stress of students while studying for their final exams. These events encourage students to take a break and relax a little to recharge their batteries during this often stressful time. Events include yoga and massage sessions, games, and art activities. Click here for more resources to help you de-stress at Hofstra!
Things You Can Do On Your Own!
There's no reason to wait for programming! Below are 75 things every student should do before they graduate from Hofstra.
75 Things to do before you graduate
- Walk over the Unispan that connects Hagedorn and the University Dome
- Do laps in the Physical Education Center pool
- Eat a sampler at Kate and Willyís
- Become an active member in a club or Fraternity or Sorority
- Create your own omelet at the Student Center
- Listen to the radio station 88.7fm WRHU, Radio Hofstra University
- Spend a full night in Axinn Library during finals
- Watch an episode of Thursday Night Live on Hofstra TV
- Watch a film in the viewing room of the Film and Media Library
- Attend a late night movie in the Student Center Theatre on Friday nights
- Help build a Homecoming float to celebrate the special event
- Enjoy an awesome time at Music Fest
- Eat healthy at the Organic Grill
- Visit and meet President Rabinowitz during his Open Office Hours
- Take your yearbook picture
- Vote in the SGA elections
- Serve the community an Alternative Spring Break trip
- Ride the Blue Beatle and Shuttle Bus Service
- Participate in the Discovery Program as a first year or a Discover Program Leader
- Apply for a leadership position on campus such as Resident Assistant, Welcome Week Leader, or Orientation Leader.
- Cherish Hofstraís beautiful and natural arboretum
- Experience the Late Night Breakfast
- Get a massage during Stress Busters
- Visit the Career Center and learn about internships, job skills, graduate school and careers!
- Explore the Bird Sanctuary
- Study Abroad through Hofstra University
- Have lunch in the University Club with your favorite faculty or administrator
- Attend a midnight movie sponsored by Entertainment Unlimited
- Buy a Hofstra sweatshirt
- Sing Karaoke on a Friday night in the Netherlands Core
- Learn about Hofstra history
- Check out the amazing exhibits in the Emily Lowe Gallery
- Enjoy a coffee at the CafÈ on the Quad
- Cheer on the Hofstra Pride at a sporting event
- Make a toast during the Senior Toast
- Meet your Advisement Dean
- Attend a play at Adams Playhouse
- Play frisbee in Memorial Quad
- Visit Calkins Computer Lab
- Admire student art work in Calkins Hall
- Count how many statues are on campus
- Fill up your reusable bottle at the Hydration Station, in the Netherlands or the Mack Student Center
- Take a class in Breslin Hall
- Enjoy a Red Mango frozen yogurt at Bits and Bites
- Read an on campus publication
- Experience the Hofstra Dance
- Register in order to graduate
- Attend the Dutch, Irish or Italian Festival on Campus
- Use a Zip Car
- Enroll in a first year cluster
- Take advantage of Living Learning Communities
- Participate in Heritage Month programming through the Multicultural and International Student Programs Office
- Check out who is at the Student Center Atrium tables
- Help your community
- Visit the Hofstra University Museum
- Eat a Lackmann cookie
- Take a trip to NYC through the Explore Next Door Traips (END)
- Get a job through Student Employment
- Participate in Hofstra Celebrates the Holidays
- Take a picture with Kate and Willie
- Participate in a meditation group with the Student Counseling Services
- Work towards being recognized at the Student Leadership Awards
- Check out the Stars on Sunday in the Hofstra University Observatory
- Write an article for the Hofstra Chronicle
- Participate in an intramural sport
- Check out the Hofstra Film Festival
- Walk the labyrinth in front of C.V. Starr Hall
- Participate in the walk against Domestic Violence Awareness
- Enjoy an event at Hofstra USA
- Play pool in the Game Room
- Work out in the Fitness Center
- Know the Pride Principles
- Take an unusual elective class
- Stretch out at a yoga class
- Enjoy your last moments with friends and loved ones because college memories last a lifetime!
This annual Hofstra tradition, welcomes the entire Hofstra community to campus for a fun-filled weekend of events. We hope you are able to join us. For more information go to the Fall Festival main page.
Hofstra's Got Talent
This annual competition showcases just how talented our Hofstra students are. During new student summer orientation, new students compete to display their talent each week ending in a new student final during Welcome Week. New students who win the Welcome Week competition go on to face upper classmen during Fall Festival Weekend, where Hofstra's most talented will be crowned!
Parade of Floats
One of Hofstra's most exciting traditions the parade is a fun-filled event with student organizations working to build theme-based floats, walking in the parade representing their organization and a display of our Hofstra spirit! Clubs and organizations interested in building a float, please download the application.
Hofstra's King and Queen
Hofstra's Senior Class student leaders apply to be King or Queen of Hofstra for the year. These students display their talents at the King and Queen showcase the Thursday prior to Fall Festival weekend and are crowned on stage Saturday at Vibe Live. The court as well as the crowned King and Queen continue on in their role to support Alumni Affairs in the Senior Class Challenge!
Applications available here. Applications are due Monday September 15th at 5pm in OSLA 260 SC.
EVENING & WEEKEND PROGRAMMING
Each weekend there are various programs occurring on campus. There is never a dull weekend here at Hofstra. See below for some of our academic year programs as well as services to access throughout the weekend!
Fridays (except the First Friday of the month) in Hofstra USA dining area there is a office sponsored Karaoke night. Come out with your friends and meet new students who also like to enjoy themselves on a Friday evening belting out a few tunes. Join us from 7p.m. – 9p.m. in Hof USA for Karaoke!
Each first Friday of the month, the Office of Student Leadership and Activities hosts a special themed event in Hofstra USA Upper Level, from 7:00p.m. – 9:00p.m. In the past, we have held events such as hosting game nights, making cards for soldiers, and recently, throwing a big kick-off celebration to open up Women’s History Month. The events are only getting bigger and better, so be sure to stay tuned!
Feeling the heat of exams? Come cool down with an ice cream
social, as well as tips and tricks on how to avoid the burn
this finals season!