|Tip of The Month||A 160lb. person would have to run at a moderate pace for 4 hours, swim for 5 miles or walk 30 miles to burn off a 3,000 calorie Thanksgiving Meal...When you add all the snacks eaten throughout the day, it can easily lead to a 4,500 calorie feast. All holiday favorites can be enjoyed so long as they are eaten in moderation and combined with a proper exercise plan.|
In this issue of Student Health 101
- The truth about getting Inked and Pierced
- Having a Positive Body Image
- STI and Birth Control options
- Smoking Trends, and the affects on students
Voluntary health insurance plans are made available to Hofstra University students on a strictly voluntary basis. Hofstra University does not receive any payment or benefit based upon any student’s purchase of voluntary insurance.
In April, 2010, the Attorney General of the State of New York conducted an investigation of health insurance plans made available for purchase by students. You can review the full report at www.nystudenthealth.com.
You should review all of the materials available and make the decision that is best for you.
Services for Students
Welcome to Healthy@Hofstra, your one-stop resource for information, advice and tips designed to help you make informed body, mind and soul related healthy living choices.
- Healthy Dining
- Student Counseling
Dining Services strives to create a home away from home experience by providing the highest level of quality and customer satisfaction.
- Nutrition Comment of the Month
- Campus Dining Services Map
- BMI Calculator
- Nutrition Guide
- Monthly Newsletter
The Catholic, Jewish, Muslim and Protestant chaplains at Hofstra University work closely with one another and with students to offer a wide variety of exciting programs.
- Weekly services
- Chaplain Directory
- Religious guidance and informal personal and academic counseling
Experience the satisfaction of having fun, getting in shape and playing your best while fostering a spirit of sportsmanship among participants and spectators.
- Intramural Sports
- Rec Events
- Sports Clubs
- Daily Activities Classes
Hofstra University Student Counseling Services provides psychological, vocational and educational counseling to students in an effort to facilitate meaningful personal growth and the fullest educational development of each individual.
- Info on depression, anxiety, self injury, relationships, body image, and eating disorders
- Educational programs and discussions
Student Health 101 is an online health and wellness e-magazine specifically tailored for today’s college student.
- Tips on reducing stress, succeeding in your academic endeavors, eating well on campus and a host of other important health and wellness information
- Click HERE to check out this month's issue! READ IT TODAY!
The Hofstra University Wellness Center focuses on providing holistic oriented health care. Our providers are experienced in treating common medical problems seen on college campuses and are advocates of a wellness approach to health care, which empowers patients to become partners in managing their health needs, through education and knowledge.
- Initial diagnosis and treatment of injuries and/or illnesses, and appropriate follow-up for most short-term illnesses
- Educational programs and events centered around issues faced by college students
Questions? Comments? E-mail Healthy@Hofstra