Physical Education - Bachelor of Science in Education (B.S. Ed)
This undergraduate major program is designed to prepare preservice physical education teachers to be scholarly, highly skilled, reflective practitioners able to meet the needs of students with a diversity of needs, experiences, cultural backgrounds, disabilities, and special abilities in all grades. The program focuses attention on the acquisition of knowledge and skills that enable the preservice teacher to develop and implement effective, innovative physical education programs that meet the New York State Learning Standards in schools. Successful completion of all program requirements will lead to the University’s recommendation for Initial Certification in physical education.
- Admission Requirements
- Program Requirements
Students who have declared physical education as their major must meet the following standards in order to be admitted to the physical education pedagogy sequence:
- Complete all required major activity courses and at least six elective major activity courses with a grade of C- or better and a cumulative GPA of 2.75 in activity courses.
- Complete the following courses with a grade of C- or better, and a cumulative GPA of 2.5 in physical education content courses:
- PESP 013A - Fundamentals of Human Movement Semester Hours: 3-4
- PESP 025 - Fitness for Life Semester Hours: 2
- PESP 050 - Introduction to Technology in Physical Education Semester Hours: 1
- PESP 053 - Foundations of Physical Education Semester Hours: 3
- PESP 061 - First Aid for Activity Professionals Semester Hours: 2
- PESP 106 - Structural & Mechanical Kinesiology Semester Hours: 3
- PESP 108 - Assessment in Physical Education Semester Hours: 3-4
- PESP 154 - Preschool and Elementary Physical Education Content Semester Hours: 3
- PESP 159 - Sport and Physical Education in Cross-Cultural Context Semester Hours: 3
- PESP 167 - Principles of Perceptual Motor Learning Semester Hours: 3
- BIO 106 - Physiology of Exercise Semester Hours: 3
- CT 102 - Development and Learning in Childhood and Adolescence Semester Hours: 3
- FDED 111 - The American School Semester Hours: 3
- FDED 127 - Introduction to Philosophy of Education Semester Hours: 3
- 129 Total Semester Hours
- Liberal Arts Requirements - 63 Semester Hours (minimum)
- General Education Requirements – 52 Semester Hours
- Physical Education Skills Courses – 8 Semester Hours
- Physical Education Content Requirements – 42 Semester Hours
- Pedagogy Sequence Requirements - 18 Semester Hours
- Residence Requirements-There are two requirements that must ordinarily be completed in residence at Hofstra: 25 hours in the major field of specialization and the last 30 hours. The 25 hours need not be included within the last 30 hours.
- Coaching Internship Requirement - Students must complete an independent internship experience coaching a middle school or high school interscholastic team for at least one season (or other similar experience as approved by the program director).
- Student Teaching Requirements-9 Semester Hours