Spring ’14 Courses »Donate to Dept. »
- Farewell to Dr. Petr Kolar, Visiting Scholar from the Czech Republic, Who Concludes His Two-Month Stay in the Department (Nov 29, 2013)
- Congratulations to GS and Geography majors, Chris Carchia and Samantha Spagnolli for being honored with Phi Beta Kappa Book (PBK) Awards (Oct 30, 2013)
- Successful "Feast in The Middle East" (Fourth in a series of "Diversity Dinners") held in the Department (October 10, 2013)
- Dr. Grant Saff, elected as Secretary of the Middle States Association of American Geographers, (October 2013).
- CNBC interviews Dr. Jean-Paul Rodrigue on effects of Panama Canal expansion on U.S. ports – October 28, 2013
- Alumni Update 2013 – September 10, 2013
- Dr. Zilkia Janer to speak about Naga (India) Hunting/Gathering Traditions at Rubin Museum of Art – September 18, 2013
- Amanda Martin, Class of 2013, Accepted into Peace Corps – September 10, 2013
- Dr. Maja Bovcon appointed Adjunct Assistant Professor to teach Geography of Africa – September 3, 2013
Click on the icon to see playlist
Welcome to the Department of Global Studies and Geography.
- Students can pursue a BA in Global Studies and/or Geography (or a Pre-Med BA).
- We prepare students for a wide-variety of future careers. Global Studies was recently named among the top 10 majors for “the new economy.”
- Geography has become more sought after by employers particularly for those with knowledge of Geographic Information Systems (GIS).
- We encourage all our majors to study abroad or undertake for-credit internships.
- Our “European Odyssey,” provides our majors/minors with the opportunity to earn a full semester of credits while travelling through Europe.
- We are willing to help students tailor a program of study that’s right for them and help them shape rewarding post-Hofstra careers in our increasingly global future.
- We have a thriving student club, and house a campus chapter of Gamma Theta Upsilon, the national geography honors society,
- Year after year we produce among the highest achieving majors on campus.
Consider joining our dynamic community of faculty and students. You will not be disappointed.
Dr. Grant Saff
Chair, Global Studies and Geography
From Left to Right: Professors Janer, Jensen, Longmire, Saff, Rodrigue and Wiley.