If you are having any difficulty using this website, please contact the Help Desk at Help@nullHofstra.edu or 516-463-7777 or Student Access Services at SAS@nullhofstra.edu or 516-463-7075. Please identify the webpage address or URL and the specific problems you have encountered and we will address the issue.

Skip to Main Content

How do I Apply for Undergraduate Admission?

First-Year Applicant

A first-year applicant is a current high school senior, a high school graduate with no post-secondary course work or the recipient of a GED applying for matriculated/degree-seeking status at Hofstra University.  First-Year candidates may apply as Early Action or Regular Decision by completing Hofstra's First-Year Student Application for Undergraduate Admission or the Common Application.

Early Action is a nonbinding early application and notification process for the fall semester first-year students only.  Students accepted via Early Action are not required to withdraw other college applications, but are required to notify Hofstra University of their intentions by May 1.

Student on Hofstra Quad

Apply Now

Hofstra Online Application » Common Application » Find out more about our standardized testing policy » Check the Status of your Applications »
Application TypeSubmissionNotification Begins
Early Action I November 15th December 15th
Early Action II December 15th January 15th
Regular decision Rolling basis February 1st and rolling thereafter

There are two rounds of Early Action as indicated in the chart.

Regular Decision candidates are considered on a "rolling basis."  While there is no deadline for regular decision applications, students are encouraged to apply early so as to receive the fullest consideration.  Once an application and all supporting credentials are received, the application is reviewed by our Admission Committee.

Transfer Applicant

Hofstra University accepts transfer applications for the fall and spring semesters.  Transfer applicants should complete Hofstra's Transfer Student Application for Undergraduate Admission or the Common Application.  Transfer candidates are considered on a "rolling basis."  While there is no deadline for applications, students are encouraged to apply on or before March 1 for the fall semester and November 15 for the spring semester so as to receive the fullest consideration.  Once your application and all supporting credentials are received, your application will be reviewed by our Admission Committee.  We will begin notifying transfer applicants of their admission decisions in mid-November for the spring and late February for the fall, then on a rolling basis thereafter. 

Students who found it necessary to leave after completing course work at Hofstra University may apply for re-admission by filing the Transfer Student Application for Undergraduate Admission.

International Applicant

Hofstra has a rolling admission policy.  International students are considered for both September and January admission.  Applicants are encouraged to apply by August 1 for admission in September, and December 1 for January admission.

Prospective students should complete Hofstra's International Student online application form.  All other necessary documentation (including a completed "Financial Verification Form") must be sent to Hofstra University, Office of Undergraduate Admission, 100 Hofstra University, Hempstead, NY 11549.  Be sure to include each item that appears on the application checklist. 

International applicants must provide Hofstra with all final transcripts so that any advanced standing credit can be determined.  For example, advanced standing may be awarded for the I.B., the Abitur, "A" level examinations, and other upper-secondary school certificates.

Please note: All records must be accompanied by English translations.

Returning Student

Get info for returning Students.

Visiting Student

Learn more about being a visiting student.

Proof of High School Completion

Admitted students intending to enroll at the university must submit their final high school transcript or proof of degree (copy of high school diploma) to the Office of Admission. Students are not permitted to begin classes at Hofstra until proof of their high school degree is received. In addition, federal financial aid will not be applied to the student's account until proof of the student's high school degree is received (when applicable).

The admission office will confirm all students' transcripts arrive from a high school with a College Entrance Examination Board (CEEB) code, as well as the high school seal and/or signature. If a transcript is from a high school that lacks a CEEB code or seal/signature, the admission office will investigate to confirm the school is recognized by the state department of education or home school association. The admission office may request a copy of the student's diploma at any point in the admission process to verification process. If a diploma is determined invalid, a General Education Development (GED) test may be required for admission consideration.

Hofstra University does not admit students who only complete an Ability To Benefit test with no other proof of high school graduation or college transcript.