- Why do some students have a sticker on their HofstraCard?
The sticker is color-coded to reference students' assigned Residence Hall. Commuting students do not get a sticker on their HofstraCard.
- Can I wear a hat when I take the photo for my HofstraCard?
No, you cannot wear a hat or sunglasses.
- When do I receive my HofstraCard?
Resident students can pick up their HofstraCard when they move onto campus. Commuting students can pick up their HofstraCard on the day their first class begins.
- Why can't I receive my HofstraCard immediately?
For security purposes HofstraCards are only available to individuals who are currently active on campus. For some individuals, such as preseason athletes, a department may request an ID to be released early. If you will be required on campus early, ask your sponsoring department to make arrangements with HofstraCard Services.
- Can my friend/parent pick up my HofstraCard for me?
No, for security purposes you must pick up your own HofstraCard. If you cannot pick it up during our normal business hours, please contact us so we can make special arrangements for you.
- Can I reactivate an older HofstraCard?
No, previously issued HofstraCards are deactivated permanently as it relates to the indexing of the card in the system.
- If someone finds my old HofstraCard will they be able to use it?
No, all previous HofstraCards are deactivated permanently by obtaining a replacement HofstraCard. However, if an individual finds your current HofstraCard they could potentially use it. Deactivate your HofstraCard through the Portal as soon as you realize it is missing to prevent unauthorized use.
- Can you help me find my lost HofstraCard?
Of course! First, don’t panic…you can deactivate your HofstraCard through the Portal. You might want to check your Residence Hall, Public Safety, Fitness Center, Swim Center, your car, book bag, purse, dining locations, and classrooms before you purchase a replacement. Not sure where you’ve been? Call or visit our office and we’ll see if we can help by reviewing your swipe history. If you find your current HofstraCard, bring it to us and we will reactivate it. Only your current HofstraCard can be reactivated.
- What are the fees to replace a lost HofstraCard?
The fee to replace your lost HofstraCard is $25.00.
- What are my payment options for replacing my HofstraCard?
You can use cash, check, credit card or Dutch Debits. If you are a student registered for the current semester, we can also charge the fee to your Student Account.
- Do I have to pay for a replacement HofstraCard if a department/facility loses it?
No. Contact the department/facility and report the incident. They will work with us to get you a free replacement HofstraCard.
- Do I have to pay for a new card if my ID is worn, damaged, or not working properly?
No. Bring in your current, damaged or non-working card and we will replace it at no charge. You can even take a new picture while you’re here.
- There are unauthorized transactions on my HofstraCard account that I didn’t make – what should I do?
Visit the HofstraCard office and fill out a Card Misuse form. The disputed transactions will be investigated, and charges found to be fraudulent will be reversed.
- How do I sign up for Dutch Debits?
Dutch Debits are activated automatically when you deposit to the Dutch Debit balance on your account; there is no need to sign up.
- How can I add more dining points/Dutch Debits?
You can add additional dining points/Dutch Debits by credit card through the Portal or in our office by cash or check. If you have a credit on your account, you may apply it to additional dining points/Dutch Debits at Student Financial Services. You can only add additional dining points if you have an existing dining plan for the semester.
- The “ADD PTS” option is missing from the web deposit form. Where did it go?
The “ADD PTS” option is disabled at the beginning of each semester to prevent erroneous deposits. Call us and we will activate it for you.
- Can someone help me add dining points/Dutch Debits online?
Yes, there are step-by-step instructions here: www.hofstra.edu/hofcard.
Click “Services” | “Make a Deposit”
Need more help? Call, visit, email, Tweet – we’ll help any way we can.
- I accidentally put money into my Dutch Debits account instead of my dining points, how can I fix that?
You can print and fax/email a Credit Card Refund form from the HofstraCard website or you can fill one out right in our office. The deposit can only be refunded, not transferred to your dining points. Also, only the original amount of the deposit can be refunded, so make sure you don’t spend any Dutch Debits until we process your refund.
- How can I add more PridePrint Points onto my card?
You must go to Student Financial Services to purchase more PridePrint Points. For more information on PridePrint, visit the Student Computing Services site.
- I have too much money on my dining plan and I want to lower it, how do I do that?
You can change/cancel your dining plan up to approximately 2 weeks after the semester begins by filling out a form in the Office of Residential Programs. Please note if you lower your dining plan for the Spring semester, you will forfeit any unspent dining points from the Fall semester. Certain dining plans may not be available to you, depending on your student status (First-year, Resident, etc.). For more information, visit the Residential Programs site.
- Will my remaining Fall dining points transfer over to my Spring dining points?
Dining points may or may not remain on your card the following semester dependent upon the plan you select. If you choose the same dining plan or higher for the Spring semester any remaining Fall points will automatically be transferred over. If you choose a lower plan or cancel your Spring dining plan, any remaining Fall points will be forfeited. Please note that effective Fall 2013 semester all resident undergraduate students must select a dining plan. Specific options are outlined on the dining plan contract.
- Is there a Winter dining plan?
No, Fall dining plans remain active during Winter Intersession and you can add points to the Fall plan if necessary.
- Is there a Summer dining plan?
Yes, you can sign up for Summer dining plans through the Portal or by visiting the Office of Residential Programs.
- Can I get a refund for my unused dining points?
Meal points are non-refundable and expire the day after Spring Commencement, so be sure to use them up. Here are some of the most common ways students use up leftover points:
- Have a party catered – contact the Catering Office
- Buy in bulk at Dutch Treats
- Donate food to a charity – contact the Catering Office
- Treat your friends and family when they visit
- When is HofstraCard Services open?
The Office of HofstraCard Services open Monday through Friday 9am to 5pm. Please note, during the summer months we close at 4pm on Fridays.
- Where is HofstraCard Services located?
Room 110 in the Student Center.
- What if I need help after-hours or on weekends?
Depending on the problem, Public Safety might be able to help. You can also email HofstraCard or Tweet @HofstraCard. We are happy to give an easy answer or make a quick fix if we can, even while the office is closed. Card reader malfunctions should be reported to Public Safety.
- Why should I follow the HofstraCard Twitter account?
We tweet reminders for special events where you’ll need your HofstraCard, important dates and deadlines, general information, and places to receive a student discount.
- How do I obtain an Alumni card?
You may obtain an Alumni card by contacting Alumni Affairs at (516) 463-6636 or visiting Alumni House on south campus. They will provide a temporary Alumni card for you to exchange for a permanent one at our office.
- How do I obtain a Law Alumni card?
You may obtain a Law Alumni card by contacting Law Alumni Affairs at (516) 463-5858 or visiting the Law School on south campus. They will provide a temporary Alumni card for you to exchange for a permanent one at our office.
Please note, if you are a Law Alumnus/a, you are immediately eligible to purchase memberships to the Fitness Center and the Swim Center.
- Why should I obtain an Alumni card?
There are many benefits associated with an Alumni card. There are on-campus discounts, access to Axinn Library services, access to Hammer and Calkins computer labs, the ability to purchase a Fitness Center and/or Swim Center membership, access to Career Center services, and more. Contact Alumni Affairs for a full list of benefits.
- Are Alumni able to use the Fitness Center and the Swim Center?
Access to the Fitness Center and Swim Center is granted through purchase of a membership for each facility. Memberships require an active Alumni card. Fitness Center memberships may be purchased at HofstraCard Services. Swim Center memberships may be purchased at the Swim Center.
- I have an Alumni card and now I am starting a Graduate program – do I get two Hofstra Cards?
No, you can have only one Hofstra ID at a time, and any Student status supersedes Alumni status.