- Why do some students have a sticker on their Hofstra identification card?
- The sticker is color-coded to reference students' assigned residence hall. Commuting students do not get a sticker on their identification card.
- Can I wear a hat when I take the photo for my identification card?
- No, you cannot wear a hat or sunglasses.
- When do I receive my identification card?
- Resident students can pick up their identification card when they move onto campus. Commuting students can pick up their identification card on the day their first class begins.
- Why can't I receive my identification card immediately?
- For security purposes, identification cards are available only to individuals who are currently active on campus. For some individuals, such as preseason athletes, a department may request an ID to be released early. If you will be required on campus early, ask your sponsoring department to make arrangements with Campus Access and Security Systems.
- Can my friend/parent pick up my identification card for me?
- No, for security purposes, you must pick up your own identification card. If you cannot pick it up during our normal business hours, please contact us so we can make special arrangements for you.
Lost Identification Cards
- Can I reactivate an older identification card?
- No, previously issued identification cards are deactivated permanently as it relates to the indexing of the card in the system.
- If someone finds my old identification card, will they be able to use it?
- No, all previous identification cards are deactivated permanently by obtaining a replacement identification card. However, if an individual finds your current identification card, they could potentially use it. Deactivate your identification card through the Hofstra portal as soon as you realize it is missing to prevent unauthorized use.
- Can you help me find my lost identification card?
- Of course! First, don’t panic. You can deactivate your identification card through the Hofstra portal. You might want to check your residence hall, Public Safety, Fitness Center, Swim Center, your car, book bag, purse, dining locations, and classrooms before you purchase a replacement. Not sure where you’ve been? Call or visit our office and we’ll see if we can help by reviewing your swipe history. If you find your current identification card, bring it to us and we will reactivate it. Only your current identification card can be reactivated.
- What are the fees to replace a lost identification card?
- The fee to replace your lost identification card is $25.00.
- What are my payment options for replacing my identification card?
- You can use cash, check, credit card, or Dutch Debits. If you are a student registered for the current semester, we can also charge the fee to your Student Account.
- Do I have to pay for a replacement identification card if a department/facility loses it?
- No. Contact the department/facility and report the incident. They will work with us to get you a free replacement identification card.
- Do I have to pay for a new card if my ID is worn, damaged, or not working properly?
- No. Bring in your current damaged or non-working card, and we will replace it at no charge. You can even take a new picture while you’re here.
- There are unauthorized transactions on my identification card account that I didn’t make. What should I do?
- Visit the Campus Access and Security Systems office and fill out a Card Misuse form. The disputed transactions will be investigated, and charges found to be fraudulent will be reversed.
- When is Campus Access and Security Systems open?
- The Office of Campus Access and Security Systems is open Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Please note: During the summer months we close at 4 p.m. on Fridays.
- Where is Campus Access and Security Systems located?
- Room 110 Mack Student Center, North Campus.
- What if I need help after-hours or on weekends?
- Depending on the problem, Public Safety might be able to help. You can also email Campus Access and Security Systems
- How do I obtain an Alumni card?
- You may obtain an Alumni card by contacting Alumni Affairs at 516-463-6636 or visiting Shapiro Alumni House on South Campus. They will provide a temporary Alumni card for you to exchange for a permanent one at our office.
- How do I obtain a Law Alumni card?
- You may obtain a Law Alumni card by contacting Law Alumni Affairs at 516-463-5858 or visiting the Deane School of Law on South Campus. They will provide a temporary Alumni card for you to exchange for a permanent one at our office.
Please note: If you are Hofstra Law alum, you are immediately eligible to purchase memberships to the Fitness Center and the Swim Center.
- Why should I obtain an Alumni card?
- There are many benefits associated with an Alumni card. There are on-campus discounts, access to Axinn Library services, access to Hammer and Calkins computer labs, the ability to purchase a Fitness Center and/or Swim Center membership, access to services at the Center for Career Design and Development, and more. Contact Alumni Affairs for a full list of benefits.
- Are alumni able to use the Fitness Center and the Swim Center?
- Access to the Fitness Center and Swim Center is granted through purchase of a membership for each facility. Memberships require an active Alumni card. Fitness Center memberships may be purchased at the Office of Campus Access and Security Systems. Swim Center memberships may be purchased at the Swim Center.
- I have an Alumni card and now I am starting a graduate program. Do I get two Hofstra cards?
- No, you can have only one Hofstra ID at a time, and any student status supersedes alumni status.