At Hofstra University's Department of Computer Science students can choose among multiple paths towards undergraduate and graduate degrees in computer science or computer engineering. Among our programs' unique features are:
- Students get a strong foundation in programming and application development, networking, security, operating systems and algorithms. They get opportunities to apply those skills in hands-on projects, including a year-long senior design project.
- To complement the technical education, the department offers two innovative programs in entrepreneurship where students learn to identify entrepreneurial opportunities in the computing industry, write a business plan, be mentored by local entrepreneurs, and implement a prototype of their idea.
- The department constantly expands the roster of elective courses to keep pace with the industry trends in computer graphics, computer gaming, mobile and web application, artificial intelligence, embedded systems and security. You also learn from industry experts in databases, networking, mobile computing, security, embedded systems, gaming, and entrepreneurship, among them a co-founder of PC Magazine. We are completing a new, $1 million, state-of-the-art Big Data lab that will open in the fall of 2014.
- Students work with our accomplished, full-time faculty in small classes or one-on-one in independent study and research projects. Faculty research areas include: computer vision, cognitive neuroscience, artificial intelligence, security, software engineering, data mining, and algorithms.
- Students have many opportunities to apply their skills in internships throughout Long Island and New York City. The department has connections with a large number of local companies. In addition, the Computer Center at Hofstra offers quality internships to our students in networking, security and application development. Many students who have done internships have been subsequently offered permanent positions.