The DeMatteis Co-op Program offers students an integrated educational and professional working experience. The co-op program is available to undergraduate engineering and computer science students after the first semester of their junior year. It is also available to students enrolled in our master's programs.
Co-op positions are paid, six to eight month internships. Students gain hands-on experience working in a field related to their major. A co-op experience gives students valuable insight into how companies work and what is expected of new employees. It is a tremendous advantage for graduating students seeking full-time employment.
Launched in 2015, we now have approximately 200 corporate partners and have successfully placed more than 150 engineering and computer science students in technology firms nationwide. We continue to work hard to build and improve our program, which will attract additional top-ranked students as well as top-tier corporations looking to recruit from among our DeMatteis School graduates.
Co-op Program Application Procedure and Forms
Each student who wishes to participate in the program will be responsible for submitting to the Co-op office via email the following documents:
- Resume (Reviewed by the Center for Career Design and Development)
- Co-op Student Application Form
- Student Statement of Understanding
- Graduation Advisement Checklist (signed by SEAS advisor)
- For CS MS Student only - Certificate of Full-Time Graduate Status
- International students only - F-1 Curricular Practical Training Application & Registration/Add/Drop Form
Students applying for a co-op position must register for their next semester classes in accordance with university deadlines. Class registration may be cancelled once a co-op position is accepted.
Procedures for Receiving/Accepting a Job Offer:
- Submit a copy of your offer letter for approval to the Co-op Director at Philip.M.Coniglio[at]hofstra.edu. Offer letters must include start and finish dates and salary.
- Once the Co-op Director has approved your offer letter, sign and email a copy of the letter to the company and the Co-op Director.
- Notify other co-op companies where you have applied and have interviewed that you have accepted another offer.
- Contact Lori Castoria in the Engineering Office or Lynda Callahan in the Computer Science office to register for COOP199 (Undergraduate) or COOP299 (Graduate).
- Cancel any courses you’ve registered for in the upcoming semester.
- Contact the Co-op Director to schedule an appointment to review co-op responsibilities and procedures. All forms listed above must be submitted prior to the meeting.