Physical Education - Master of Arts (M.A.)
The master of arts in physical education is designed to provide professional certification for teachers who possess New York state initial/provisional certification in physical education. The 31-semester hour program is designed with a content-pedagogy linkage to liberal arts and sciences, and two specializations options:
- Adventure Education
- Strength and Conditioning
This program is designed to provide advanced study for teachers interested in developing their pedagogical content knowledge and instructional leadership capacities for curricular change and program improvement. The 12 s.h. content-pedagogy linkage provides the theoretical knowledge and practical skills necessary to prepare teachers for leadership roles in school settings. It is ideal for teachers and coaches interested in enhancing student learning and developing supervisory knowledge and experience.
The program supports and reflects the New York State Learning Standards for Health, Physical Education, and Home Economics, and is aligned with NASPE Advanced Standards for graduate degree programs in physical education, and with the National Board for Professional Teaching Standards (NBPTS, 1999).
- Admission Requirements
- Program Requirements
Application for admission to the master of arts (M.A.) in physical education program is made to the Office of Graduate Admissions. Admission is based on a comprehensive review of multiple criteria, including the following:
- Baccalaureate degree in physical education.
- Undergraduate grade point average of 2.75. Students with less than a 2.75 undergraduate grade point average may be admitted with additional requirements upon the recommendation of the program adviser. The probationary period will consist of no less than 12 semester hours during which the student will be required to maintain a minimum grade point average of 3.0. Additional requirements may include the GRE and other additional remedial course work. This will be established at the time of the interview.
- New York state initial teacher certification
- Two letters of recommendation addressing the applicant’s potential to succeed in the teaching and physical activity professions and in graduate work.
- A brief statement indicating the applicant’s interest in the program and describing professional intent.
- An interview with the graduate program director or departmental adviser.
The faculty of the Department of Physical Education and Sport Sciences recognizes that any single criterion may not reliably predict a candidate’s potential for success in a graduate program. Candidates are welcome to apply if they do not meet one of the criteria but feel that other aspects of their experience may compensate.
- Program Requirements - Semester Hours: 31
- Research Core – 7 Semester Hours
- Content-Pedagogy Linkage Core – 12 Semester Hours
- Area of Specialization – 12 Semester Hours
- Select One From Below:
- Adventure Education Core
- Strength and Conditioning Core
- Electives Selected Under Advisement