- Discovery Program (Hofstra.edu/discovery)- The Hofstra Discovery Program is a dynamic interactive program designed for incoming first-year students who wishto be actively engaged through service-learning, adventure and discovery. Participants choose a path of discovery - compassion or sustainability - and are led by upper-class discovery student-leaders. This is an opportunity to build connections, hone leadership skills and begin the transition to college life and learning.
- Sustainability Path- This path allows students to gain an understanding of what it means to preserve and protect the earth. Participants explore issues of energy and resource conservation and both current and future impacts. Students engage in hands-on-experiences that prepare them to make eco-friendly decisions and participate in environmental stewardship efforts in their community. Activities are threaded with discussions about the local and global impact of promoting sustainability.
- Visit the first solar-powered installation on a municipal building in the local community.
- Learn about Long Island's natural resources. Study the operation of a local organic farm or visit a recycling center.
- Participate in an on-site visit with the waste management organization that partners with Hofstra's recycling efforts.
- Examine energy use in Hofstra's co-generation plant.
- Visit and explore Hofstra's Bird Sanctuary - an example of conservation in our own backyard.
- Faculty research and development grants and presidential research awards help to fund research on environmental issues.
- Academic courses - An expanding list of geology, biology and philosophy courses offers students a solid base of knowledge about the environment.
The Career Center: The Career Center offers opportunities for students to meet with a variety of environment-related and/or "green" organizations and companies on campus for the purpose of obtaining internship, volunteer and paid positions. Additionally, students can find these opportunities posted on The Career Center’s Pride-Career Management System on the Hofstra portal.
- Events - Hofstra hosts numerous events designed to preserve the environment and raise awareness of environmental issues. These include:
- Climate Change - Hofstra hosted four days of events about global warming in January 2008 as part of a nationwide educational initiative organized by Focus the Nation.
- Earth Day - Each year, the University presents a series of "green" events, such as a cleanup of the bird sanctuary, to celebrate Earth Day.
The festival began with free food, activities, contests, vendors and music for Hofstra students, and continued in the evening with four panelists discussing Long Island’s Environmental Future. Earth Day is intended to promote awareness and appreciation for the Earth’s environment.