Gain knowledge and insight to set yourself apart. Travel the world and learn business from international faculty and executives. See a change within yourself as you experience, first-hand, how culture shapes business. We offer life-changing global experiences that you can take advantage of as an undergraduate or graduate student.
Find a global experience that fits in with your academic goals and wanderlust. We offer programs that allow you to learn first-hand about business not only in countries around the world, but at Hofstra as well. We offer a course on global entrepreneurship, a dual-degree program with a partner institution in China, and semester-long study abroad programs.
International Entrepreneurship Consulting Course
Gain hands-on experience and serve global communities through our innovative entrepreneurship course that provides a real-life international consulting experience.
Foster your personal and academic growth with one of our study abroad programs as you satisfy degree requirements. Challenge yourself in a new environment as you meet people from different backgrounds and cultures, developing lifelong friendships and learning inside and outside the classroom.
Whether you are enrolled in our Executive MBA or Online MBA program, you will enhance your graduate education through our Global Practicum. Travel to an international destination while learning about business on a global scale.
Dual-degree program with Dongbei University of Finance and Economics (DUFE)
Take classes in the spring semester taught by DUFE professors in residence at Hofstra and then travel to China and spend the summer experiencing Chinese culture while gaining experience during a six-week internship. Complete the program the following fall as you take courses at Hofstra taught by DUFE faculty. See answers to frequently asked questions below.
We offer programs around the world at the following universities:
- University of Hertfordshire in Hatifield, England
- Kedge Business School in Marseille, France
- Montpellier Business School in Montpellier, France
- Hochshule Bremen in Bremen, Germany
- University of Amsterdam in Amsterdam, Netherlands
- Changwon National University in Changwon, South Korea
- Korea University Business School in Seoul, South Korea
- Universitat de Valencia in Valencia, Spain
Undergraduate and Graduate Programs
International Entrepreneurship Consulting Course
As an undergraduate or graduate student of any major or program, you will learn about global entrepreneurship in the classroom and then travel during spring break with classmates to work with local entrepreneurs. Past cohorts visited South Africa, Israel, Ireland, and South Korea. You will study the global economy, analyzing the political, social, technological, environmental, and legal factors facing small businesses. Arrive at your destination and work with local entrepreneurs abroad to help develop practical solutions to their business problems. You will examine the cultural context and challenges they face.
As a student in our Executive MBA program, you will benefit from our Global Practicum, gaining hands-on experience and exploring the world while learning about global economies. Our Online MBA program also features a Global Practicum during which students learn about global strategy and travel internationally.
“Being able to participate in the DUFE program at Hofstra has helped me stand out amongst my peers when going through the hiring process. Having a separate degree from a university abroad has allowed me to show my experience with international business, as well as showing that I am able to work in cultures that are opposite of my own. It really has become a strong selling point.”
– Karina Rosario, BBA ‘20
Dual-degree Program with Dongbei University of Finance and Economics (DUFE)
DUFE ranks among the top universities in Liaoning Province, China, receiving first class ranking in the disciplines of applied economics, statistics, business administration, public administration, management science and engineering, and theoretical economics. DUFE is located in the city of Dalian, a center for trade and finance. Dalian is one of China’s most prosperous cities, attracting top international companies such as Microsoft, Nokia, Hewlett Packard, IBM, Pfizer, and Intel. Located in northeast China on the coast, Dalian is also a popular tourist destination. It is 55 minutes from Beijing and two hours from Shanghai by air travel.
You will take five DUFE courses, split between the spring and fall semesters. In addition, you will enroll in a 1-credit internship course during the summer. If you select the Global Finance track, you will take courses appropriate for finance majors or minors.
With the proper planning, no additional credits beyond the 128 required for the BBA should be required.
- International Business majors – four of the five classes will go toward your major requirements. The fifth class is a general elective, counting toward the 128 credits needed for graduation.
- Management majors – two courses will go toward your major requirements. The other three classes are general electives, counting toward the 128 credits needed for graduation.
- Finance majors – three courses will go toward your major requirements. The other two classes are general electives, counting toward the 128 credits needed for graduation.
If you major in another area, in most cases the five DUFE courses will count as free electives toward your BBA requirements.
Internships in China are arranged by Dongbei University of Finance and Economics and have included opportunities at:
- Bacchus Wines – an international trade company importing wine to the Chinese market
- Felpa International Trading – a company focused on business consultancy, international trade, and information technology
- Kurt Beat – a shopping platform for overseas quality goods, dedicated to domestic consumers
- Manpower Group – a global human resource management solutions provider
- P&G – one of the largest consumer goods companies – provides students with an in-depth look at the operations of their local distributor
- Pfizer Global Financial Solutions – focuses on providing standardized and optimized accounting and financial operations processes to Pfizer’s global business practices
- International Entrepreneurs Corridor – a group of companies providing services related to international trade, business consultancy, information technology, tourism, and manufacturing for textiles, sports goods, and consumer products
- Wipro – an information technology services corporation that employs 175,000 people worldwide
DUFE has a proven track record of providing superior support to their international students. Support services are provided to students 24/7 and include airport pick-up and drop-off. DUFE also distributes a comprehensive handbook before students travel to China. Each Hofstra student will be assigned a DUFE student “buddy.”
You will have access to:
- 24-hour support (interpretation, and local information including a hotline/emergency service line)
- Two Dalian city and cultural tours
- Two company visits
- Transportation to and from your internship
The cultural immersion program begins in April at Hofstra, approximately one month before you leave for China, and includes basic Chinese language training. When you arrive in China, you will meet your designated buddy from DUFE, take tours of city landmarks, attend cultural activities such as the Dragon Boat Festival, learn Chinese martial arts, and continue your language studies.
The Ruanjing E. Apartments are conveniently located near the DUFE campus and are monitored by a doorman. Apartments are located near restaurants and local attractions. This area is considered very safe and students feel comfortable walking around in the evening. Each apartment is equipped with a small kitchen facility (refrigerator, stove, and microwave); sitting area; washing machine; Western-style toilet; television; and internet.
Below are approximate program costs:
- Program fee: $400
- Airfare: $1,200
- Accommodations (six weeks): $675-$1,080*
- Meals (per day): $8-$16**
* Scholarship funding from the Chinese government may be available to fully cover accommodations.
** Dongbei University provides meal passes allowing students to dine on campus free of charge.