Welcome to Hofstra University!
Educational & Research Technology Services (EdTech) exists to provide Hofstra students with the tools and support for learning with technology.
Our mission is to encourage and assist students to use the wealth of computing technology resources available to them throughout their career at Hofstra University.
Here are some important tips:
- Don't buy Microsoft Office! Students get a free Office 365 subscription, which allows you to install Microsoft Office on up to 5 PCs or Macs and Office apps on up to 5 tablets or phones. Click the 'MS Office' icon in 'my apps' (the waffle icon) in the Hofstra Portal and follow the instructions to activate your subscription.
- Protect yourself by not sharing your Hofstra password with anyone!
- Use the 'eduroam' wireless network for safe and easy network access!
- If you live on campus, you can also request wired network access in your residence hall!
- Don't bring a printer to campus. You can print from anywhere using PridePrint! We have over 40 PridePrint Release Stations in 30 locations on campus.
- Mac or PC? Generally, it doesn't matter but some departments have provided us with computer recommendations by major.
- Have any other technology questions? Give us a call at 516-463-7777 (option 1)
Buying a new computer? Here is what we recommend:
Recommended System Specifications for New Computers
NOTE: SSD storage provides the best performance but has a higher cost per gigabyte (GB) than traditional hard drive storage. Unless there is a requirement for a large amount of internal storage (more than 256GB) then we would recommend purchasing a computer with SSD storage. All current Mac computers come with SSD storage.
Hofstra students receive discounts when purchasing Lenovo and Apple computers. Login on the Portal to access these discounts online.
Student Computing Services (SCS) hires and trains students for technical support and learning support positions. Contact us for more information.