Organizations & Affiliations
The Math Club is a student-run organization that holds events several times each semester. Previous events have included trips to MoMath and movie nights. Contact Dan Ismailescu or Eric Rowland for more information.
The Actuarial Science Club is a preprofessional organization for Hofstra students who plan to become actuaries. Events include evenings with working actuaries, resume reviews, and general advising sessions. For more information, contact Johanna Franklin, the faculty advisor.
New York Alpha Lambda Chapter of Pi Mu Epsilon
The New York Alpha Lambda Chapter of Pi Mu Epsilon (PME) was chartered in 2005. The Chapter engages in and sponsors a variety of mathematically related activities on campus. PME takes pride in recognizing outstanding accomplishment. Join us now and direct your mathematical enthusiasm to brighter horizons.
A candidate for admission into Pi Mu Epsilon must fulfill the following requirements:
- A candidate must have completed MATH 71, 72, 73, and 114 or the equivalent. In addition a candidate must have completed at least one 100-level course other than MATH 114. Transfer students must also have completed one academic year as well as one mathematics course at Hofstra University.
- A candidate must have the following minimum scholastic requirements, based only on courses taken at Hofstra:
- Sophomores: 3.6 Mathematics GPA, 3.5 cumulative GPA
- Juniors: 3.5 Mathematics GPA, 3.4 cumulative GPA
- Seniors: 3.4 Mathematics GPA, 3.3 cumulative GPA
- A candidate must submit a letter of recommendation from a Hofstra Mathematics Department faculty member, as well as a copy of his/her DARS.
- Dues in the amount of $45 ($15 to the Local Chapter, $30 to the National Chapter) are due upon acceptance and must be received prior to the induction.