Parent & Family Programs
Family eSpace is a Hofstra-supported, student-authorized online portal designed to inform and engage family members of Hofstra students. Parents and family members can access forms such as the My Information form, where they advise us of their engagement preferences, and the Authorization – Minor Student form for students under the age of 18. Parent Council meeting videos and minutes and an opt-in regional family directory to facilitate connections among families are also found in the same area. FERPA-authorized family members have additional access to their student’s schedule and campus address.
To authorize family members to access Family eSpace, students must:
1. Log on to their student portal at my.hofstra.edu.
2. Select the person icon on the upper right corner and select "My Account" from the drop-down menu.
3. Select FERPA/Family eSpace/eBill from the tabs on the left.
4. Use the FERPA tab to add a family member and to select the type of FERPA-protected information the student wants to share with this family member. Student may choose not to grant FERPA access by clicking "No Records," but still give access to Family eSpace. **Please note that the ONLY FERPA-protected information families can access online through Family eSpace at this time is the student's class schedule and the student's campus address. For example, if a student gives the family member FERPA permission to "Academic Records," parents have access to their grades; however, the grades are not displayed in Family eSpace. Family members need to call Parent and Family Programs to discuss grades. For more information, please email email@example.com.
5. Click on the Family eSpace tab. Again, the student may select "No Records" on the FERPA form for the named family member and still allow that person access to Family eSpace. Family eSpace has features beyond FERPA-protected information that are aimed at engaging and informing parents and family members.
6. Scroll down and select Invite to Family eSpace under the family member's name.
7. In the white pop-up window, select New Family Member and enter the family member's email address, then submit.
8. The family member will receive an email to activate their account and set up a username/password. Please note that the login code sent to the email expires in 72 hours.
9. After parents/family members have created a login through a link in the email, they are all set to enter Family eSpace at any time at my.hofstra.edu (the same login page as the student portal). Enter your email in the top (username) field and your password in the bottom (password) field.
If you have questions, please contact Parent and Family Programs at 516-463-4698 or firstname.lastname@example.org.