What are the renewal criteria for scholarships and grants?
Effective for renewal occurring in June 2022
- Academic scholarships may be renewed if the recipient maintains full-time status and meets the minimum academic average of 2.8 cumulative GPA after enrollment at Hofstra for two consecutive semesters. The GPA for renewal is based on grades earned only at Hofstra University.
- Assistance Grants and Hofstra Grants may be renewed if the student maintains a 2.0 cumulative GPA. A FAFSA must be on file each year for renewal consideration.
- Activity Grants may be renewed if the student maintains a 2.0 cumulative GPA and participation as required by the department. Students whose Activity Grants are not renewed may appeal to their department chair.
- Recipients must successfully complete a minimum of 12 credits each semester at Hofstra with a minimum of 18 credit hours of letter grades other than P. Recipients of Hofstra institutional funds must be enrolled for full-time credit (a minimum of 12 credits) each semester for maintenance of Hofstra institutional funds. Part-time student scholarships and grants require enrollment of no less than 6 credits each semester.
- Scholarships and grants are awarded to students with junior standing for a maximum of four semesters, with sophomore standing for a maximum of six semesters, and to students with first-year standing for a maximum of eight semesters.
How do I appeal to reinstate loss of Hofstra scholarships or grants due to not meeting the renewal criteria?
With the exception of Activity Grants, you may appeal in writing to the Provost Committee on Scholarship Review. Reinstatement of aid would be based on documented exceptional circumstances. Appeals should be directed to the Provost Committee on Scholarship Review at PCSR@hofstra.edu or via mail to Provost Committee on Scholarship Review, Office of the Provost, Room 200 West Library Wing, BDC, Hofstra University, Hempstead, NY 11549.
Recipients of need-based grants may appeal to the Director of Financial Aid, Office of Financial Aid, Room 202 Memorial Hall, 126 Hofstra University, Hempstead, NY 11549-1260 or via email to SFS@Hofstra.edu.
For more information, please visit Scholarships