The Clery Act requires higher education institutions to give timely warnings of emergencies that represent an ongoing and immediate threat to the campus community. Hofstra University will provide an Emergency Alert through the Hofstra CANN system.
There are other times when University officials become aware of situations that should be shared with the campus community so that appropriate actions may be taken to prevent similar occurrences. In this case, a Local Safety Bulletin will be issued by Public Safety.
When a situation occurs on campus or close to campus and the University has credible information upon which to base a Local Safety Bulletin, the University will send an email notice to all individuals registered in CANN advising them of the situation. In addition, local safety bulletins will be posted on this website.
The Department of Public Safety will also post recently issued Local Safety Bulletins on this website for reference by all community members.
In an emergency call Public Safety at 516-463-6789. If off campus, dial 911 for assistance.
On Monday July 18, 2022 at approximately 11am in the vicinity of the Hofstra Stadium parking lot, an unidentified male riding a bicycle pulled alongside a female pedestrian HUS, grabbed her backside and immediately fled the area. The male was wearing a grey windbreaker and dark denim pants. His hood was up and he was wearing a face covering. Police have indicated they have received two similar reports in the Hempstead/ Uniondale area in the vicinity of Front street and Jerusalem Avenue. Please contact Public Safety if you see anyone matching the description on campus.
Crime Prevention Tips
- Hofstra’s Safe Walk Program is available daily to walk any member of the Hofstra Community to their car or Residence Hall.
- Always be mindful of your surroundings.
- Please remember the blue light emergency safety phones will call Public Safety directly.
- Report any and all suspicious people and incidents to Public Safety immediately, 516-463-6789.
- For more information on campus safety, please visit www.hofstra.edu/public-safety