Public Safety


To ensure the safety of our community, Public Safety has established the following guidelines.

Access to Campus, Academic and Administrative Buildings

Hofstra University, including the entire campus and its buildings and grounds, is private property. As a result, Hofstra may exercise its right to grant, restrict, or deny access to its campus and/or buildings and grounds. In general, all academic and administrative buildings are locked in the evening and on weekends, according to the scheduled use of the facilities. Access to these facilities is limited to students, faculty, and staff, as well as guests and visitors conducting official University business. During non-business hours, access to University facilities may be limited to authorized personnel only.

Access to Residence Halls

Hofstra University provides student housing in traditional-style residence halls, apartments, and suites. Access to the residence halls is limited to resident students and registered guests. Students must carry their Hofstra University ID (HofstraCard) at all times and present it for admission to the residence halls. Guests must show valid ID, register at the security booth, and be announced to their hosts. Entrances to residence halls are monitored by a Resident Safety Representative (RSR) 24 hours a day.


The Physical Plant Department maintains the University buildings and grounds with an emphasis on safety and security. It responds immediately to reports of potential safety and security hazards such as broken windows and locks. Public Safety assists Plant personnel by reporting possible hazards, and community members are encouraged to do so as well. Call 516-463-6622.

Alcoholic Beverages

Hofstra University encourages and sustains an academic environment that respects individual freedoms and promotes the health, safety, and welfare of all community members. In keeping with these objectives, the University has set a policy that conforms to New York state law governing the possession, sale, and consumption of alcoholic beverages. Underage possession, sale, or consumption of alcoholic beverages is not permitted on property owned or controlled by Hofstra. A full statement of the University's Alcohol Policy is published in the Student Conduct Code and The Living Factor; both publications are provided to all incoming students at orientation and are available upon request from the Dean of Students Office. Call 516-463-6913.

Illegal Drugs

Any person found responsible for illegal possession, distribution, or consumption of any controlled substance is subject to disciplinary action by the University and may be referred to the appropriate external authorities. Under law, these violations may result in penalties ranging from fines to imprisonment.

Criminal Acts

The following guidelines apply to an alleged victim of crime, including sexual assault:

  • Report the incident to Public Safety. Student victims of crimes will be assisted in filing their complaints with the Nassau County Police Department.
  • In the event of a rape, Public Safety will assist the student in contacting the Nassau County Rape Task Force and will transport the student to the Task Force Center if requested to do so. A staff member from Student Counseling Services or the Dean of Students Office will accompany the student if requested to do so.
  • University Student Counseling Services will provide counseling to the student. Public Safety will assist with any transportation required for follow-up with the Nassau County Police Department or with the Office of the District Attorney.

If a student is charged with a felony, the following guidelines apply:

  • Regardless of the location of the incident or the identity of the victim, if a Hofstra University student is charged, the University retains the prerogative to summarily suspend the student pending the outcome of the trial. This action would be taken because of the potential threat the student poses to the Hofstra community as stated in the Student Conduct Code. Each case is reviewed individually.
  • After the case is adjudicated by outside authorities, the charges will then be reviewed under the University's Student Conduct Code.

How to Report an Incident

All criminal actions or other emergencies occurring on campus are to be reported to the Department of Public Safety. Public Safety works closely with the Nassau County and Hempstead Police Departments. Public Safety personnel report all incidents requiring police assistance to the appropriate law enforcement agency. In an emergency, call 516-463-6789 (or x3-6789 from any on-campus telephone) for direct contact with the Public Safety dispatcher. For non-emergency situations and other inquiries, please call 516-463-6606.