Hofstra’s Payment Plan FAQ’s
- What payment plans are offered?
- What is the difference between Auto Debit and Non-Auto Debit?
- When are the payments due for each plan?
- Can I change the amount of the payment plan if for some reason I need to adjust it up or down?
- What type of payment methods can I use?
- Can I make a payment from a Savings account, Money Market, Line of Credit or Business Account to pay a payment plan installment?
- Can I make a payment from an International bank account?
- Is there an enrollment fee?
- Are there restrictions on who can participate in Hofstra’s payment plans?
- Can families paying the locked-in rate participate in Hofstra’s payment plans?
- What if I can’t make the payment by the due date?
- I don’t see my bill. How much should my payment be?
- Are payment amounts flexible each month?
- What is the deadline for enrolling in a payment plan?
- Do I have to pay a down-payment?
- How much is my current payment plan?
- I would like to enroll in a payment plan for my student. How do I sign up for a payment plan?
- I have scheduled payments, how do I make an installment payment?
- Is “bill pay” on my online banking account the same as an Auto-Debit plan?
- Is there a cancellation fee if I choose to leave the payment plan?
- Can I enroll after the enrollment deadline has passed?
- Will I be charged interest on the payment plan amount?
- I missed a payment; can I still enroll in the plan?
- What if my installment payment is returned by my bank for any reason?
A: Semester based plans.
A: If you enroll in an Auto Debit plan, your payments will be automatically deducted from your account. The enrollment fee is lower for Auto Debit plans.
If you enroll in a Non-Auto Debit plan you will be responsible to make your payments online through My Payment Center at My.Hofstra.edu, by the established payment due dates. Do not schedule payments in the Non-Auto Debit plan. If you want payments automatically deducted from your account, enroll in the Auto Debit plan.
A: Yes, changes can be made simply be emailing email@example.com with the new requested amount of the plan. Please note any outstanding balances on your account will be subject to applicable late payment fees.
A: You may use a Personal Checking Account with routing number.
6. Can I make a payment from a Savings account, Money Market, Line of Credit or Business Account to pay a payment plan installment?
A: No. Although check payments made from these types of accounts are accepted in our office, these types of accounts are restricted from electronic/web payments and may return unpaid incurring returned check penalties. Web payments should only be made from a Personal Checking Account. Please contact your financial institution to verify if your account is eligible to make web/electronic payments.
A: No, you cannot pay from a foreign bank account. If you do not have a U.S. bank account you can enroll in a Non-Auto Debit plan and make your payments in person or contact Flywire to make a wire transfer.
A: There are enrollment fees for each payment plan. Enrollment fees vary by plan. There are discounted fees for enrolling earlier and enrolling with the auto debit feature. There is no per transaction charge. For current enrollment fee amounts, please view the payment plan description online.
A: All undergraduate, graduate, law, medical and continuing learners are eligible to participate.
A: A late payment fee of $100.00 may be assessed for each payment not received by the payment due date. To ensure that payments are received by the payment due date, it is recommended that you enroll in an Auto Debit plan.
A: If you are interested in enrolling in a payment plan you can estimate the amount of the plan you need and make any adjustment necessary simply by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org from your Hofstra pride email account with your new remaining plan amount. If you need assistance you can contact Student Financial Services at 516-463-8000.
If you are already enrolled in a payment plan, you will find your payment plan information in “My Payment Center” on the Hofstra portal.
A: Your payments will be divided into fixed monthly installments based upon the balance of your account.
A: For information regarding payment plan descriptions, payment due dates and deadlines to enroll, please log into the “My Payment Center” on the Hofstra portal and go to the Payment Plan Tabs.
A: No, a down payment is not necessary to enroll. Please be aware that the amount entered in the “Down Payment” box on the Budget Worksheet will be paid upon enrolling in the plan and will not be part of the plan. This amount will not pay towards the next installment. Most students prefer to leave this amount blank.
A: Simply log into the “My Payment Center” of the Hofstra portal and click on the Payment Plans tab to view your account details.
A: To sign up for a payment plan, your student must grant you access as an authorized user. See step by step instructions.
Authorized users can log on to My.Hofstra.edu and click E-Bill under Parent Services. Once you login with your email and password, you can sign up for a payment plan, view your current payment plan status, make payments, and schedule future installment payments.
A: With an Auto Debit plan, the payments will automatically be deducted from your designated payment method on the installment due date. No additional action is needed.
A: No, bill pay is not the same as an Auto Debit plan.
A: There may be an extension of time to enroll in a payment plan. Please be aware if you enroll after payment due dates, the enrollment fee and any missed payments will be due upon enrollment.
For information regarding deadlines to enroll, please log into the “My Payment Center” on the Hofstra portal and go to the Payment Plan Tabs.
A: No, the only fees associated with the payment plan are the enrollment fee and any unpaid balance will be subject to applicable late fees.
A: Please check the payment center to see if the plan is still available for enrollment. Any missed payments will be due upon enrollment.
A: Payments can be returned unpaid from the bank for a number of reasons. If your auto-debit payment plan installment is returned for any reason, you will receive a notification through your pride e-mail. The returned payment will be charged back to your student account and you will incur a $25.00 returned check fee. In addition, a returned check hold will be placed on your student account (the hold description will display the reason for your returned check as provided by the bank). You will then need to re-submit payment for the returned item and fee via certified funds (cash, money order, certified bank check). If you re-submit payment via web check or personal check, the hold will remain for 8 – 14 business days to allow the payment to clear.
If your payment is returned for Unable to Locate Account, Non-Transactions Account, or Invalid Account Number (which the hold reason will state) this is usually because the checking account information was entered incorrectly or the payment method is an account that cannot be used to make electronic payments. You should still resubmit payment for the returned item via certified funds, however, you will need to update the saved checking account information linked to your payment plan so that future payment plan installments do not return unpaid due to incorrect account information.
Whether you are on an Auto or Non-Auto Debit plan, please insure that you are using the correct checking account information and funds are available in your account to avoid your payments from being returned unpaid.