Study Abroad


Studying abroad requires commitment, perseverance, and careful planning, especially with respect to finances. If you are currently receiving financial aid for your college education, in many cases you can use it to study abroad. If you are uncertain, we recommend that you speak to your financial aid counselor about what can and cannot be applied to study abroad.  We offer the following information regarding program costs, financial aid and scholarship funding as an aid to all current and prospective study abroad students in planning and financing their international experience.

Please note that a student’s enrollment in a program of study abroad approved for credit by Hofstra University may be considered enrollment at Hofstra for the purpose of applying for assistance under Title IV, HEA federal financial aid programs.

Cost Information for Hofstra Programs

All Hofstra short-term and semester programs have two costs:

(1) Program cost which includes roundtrip airfare, transfers, housing accommodations, meals, excursions, medical/accident insurance and

(2) Standard Hofstra University tuition/fees for either three or six credits.

Since short-term programs take place in the January and summer sessions institutional funding does not apply, as institutional funds are awarded as fall/spring awards.  Generally loans are the only financial aid available for short-term programs.  Any student interested in taking out a loan for a short-term program is requested to stop by the Office of Study Abroad Programs and complete a Financial Aid Form.  Students are requested to itemize the costs associated with the study abroad program which include: program cost, tuition/fees for three or six credits, travel, personal and books.  Once costs are totaled and the form is signed by either the Assistant Dean for Study Abroad Programs or the Program Director, the form is submitted to the Office of Financial Services as early as possible to ensure that the loan comes in well in advance of the desired program.  Note: Students must be at least half-time in courses required for their degree for Federal loans and only Private loans are available for January programs.

  • Hofstra University semester-length programs
    Hofstra University charges students a program cost and standard Hofstra University tuition/fees for the designated number of credits.  Financial aid is available, including institutional funding you have already been awarded.
  • Non-Hofstra University semester-length programs
     Hofstra University charges students the cost of the Host program which generally includes tuition/fees, room and board and other miscellaneous fees such as insurance. In addition to the cost of the Host program, Hofstra University charges an Administrative Fee. This administrative fee covers the costs associated with administering study abroad programs, including advisement, study abroad registration, study abroad transfer credit, foreign transcript evaluation, and other related administrative costs of operating various study abroad programs for our students. Financial aid is available for Host programs*. Note: If a student is already an institutional award recipient and registered full-time, that award may be applicable up to the tuition-only cost of the Host program.

    *Certain conditions apply. Students are encouraged to meet with both the Office of Study Abroad Programs and the Student Financial Services Office prior to enrolling in a Host program.

Hofstra Scholarships

Thomas Hetzel Endowed Memorial Award in German Studies

This award is given to a deserving student studying abroad in Germany through a Hofstra-sponsored program or other accredited American university program ap­proved by the Director of the German Program. The recipient will be selected based on the following criteria: (1) GPA in German courses, (2) cumulative Hofstra GPA, (3) potential for success in the field of German Studies (4) demonstrated financial need, or (5) demonstrated commit­ment to public service. If for any academic year, no student elects to study abroad, the award will be presented as a tuition scholarship to the most outstanding student selected from the following pool of candidates – German majors, German minors, and students taking German classes based on the same criteria as stated above. The award will be granted upon the recommendation of the Director of the German Program in con­sultation with the Chairperson of the Comparative Literature and Lan­guages Department. 

EAB Endowed Scholarship

Financial award for costs related to study abroad at Erasmus University or any other study abroad program in the Netherlands. Awarded by the Dean of the Frank G. Zarb School of Business to one or more students each year. Please contact Brian Caligiure, Senior Associate Dean, Frank G. Zarb School of Business.

Donald Tattenbaum Scholarship

Financial award for costs related to study abroad at Erasmus University. If there are no Hofstra students interested in studying at Erasmus, the scholarship may be awarded to Frank G. Zarb School of Business students participating in any study abroad on the basis of achievement and need. Please contact Brian Caligiure, Senior Associate Dean, Frank G. Zarb School of Business.

Mark L. Bibi ‘80 Endowed Scholarship for Study Abroad

Financial award for one student applying to a Hofstra University Study Abroad Program who has properly completed and submitted a scholarship application and supporting documents that show financial need and academic merit.  This application is to include a personal essay and letter of recommendation.  The scholarship application is submitted by the usual study abroad application deadline (early November for January programs, early March for summer programs.)  There will be an interview process for applicants. Please contact Suzanne Pike, Associate Provost for Academic Support and Study Abroad.

Non-Hofstra semester programs

Independent study abroad providers such as the American Insititue of Foreign Study (AIFS), Council on International Educational Exchange (CIEE), Semester at Sea, etc. offer need and merit scholarships for their own sponsored programs. Check Academic Abroad and Short Term Study Abroad published by the institute of International Education for study abroad programs which offer scholarships or work-study assistance.

HCLAS Transformative Learning Grant

HCLAS Transformative Learning Grants can be used to help defray costs associated with Study Abroad.

Learn More About Transformative Learning Grants

Outside Scholarships

The Gilman International Scholarship Program

The Gilman International Scholarship program offers study abroad scholarships of up to $8,000 for U.S. undergraduate students receiving the Federal Pell Grant.  Scholarships available for Fall, Spring, or Academic year.  For further information, please go to their website:

DAAD – German Academic Exchange Service

The German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) offers funding for students, faculty, researchers and others in higher education to go to and from Germany.  For further information, please go to their website:

Gilman-McCain Scholarship

We are pleased to announce that the Gilman-McCain Scholarship Application is now open and we are accepting applications on a rolling basis.

Gilman-McCain Scholarship Application

The U.S. Department of State’s Gilman-McCain Scholarship provides awards of $5,000 for undergraduate child dependents of active duty service members to study or intern abroad on credit-bearing programs. Developed under the framework of the Gilman Program, this scholarship is open to eligible students enrolled at accredited U.S. colleges and universities who receive any type of Title IV federal financial aid.

Gilman-McCain Scholarship

Boren Scholarships and Fellowships

Boren Scholarships and Fellowships provide opportunities for U.S. undergraduate and graduate students to become more proficient in the cultures and languages of world regions critical to U.S. interests, including Africa, Asia, Central and Eastern Europe, Eurasia, Latin America, and the Middle East.  Maximum awards are $20,000 for the Boren Scholarship and $30,000 for the Boren Fellowships.  In exchange for funding, recipients commit to working in the federal government for a minimum of one year.  For further information, please go to their website:

The following online source is very useful for students who would like further information:
This site allows you to search by country or subject to find the study abroad funding information that you need.

Kindly note: Links are provided as a general information resource for general use. The links provided are maintained by their respective organizations and they are solely responsible for their content. Hofstra does not favor one link over the next, nor does Hofstra profit, in whole or in part, from any products or services offered or promoted by any of the web sites whose links appear.