Hofstra Facilities and Operations News Archives
Tour the Hofstra Arboretum on Sunday May 7! Register Today
Fred Soviero, Director of Grounds and the Hofstra Arboretum and Patrice Dimino, Landscape Designer and Assistant Curator, invite the public to attend a tour and information sessions at the beautiful Hofstra Arboretum. Flowers, plantings, trees and other one-of-a-kind views unique to Hofstra will be in full bloom for Spring. Learn more
Spring 2017 classes and projects have begun with room renovations in the Business Development Center, Memorial and Gittleson Halls. The Oak Street Center project and relocation of the ROTC, Business Development Center and Hofstra University Continuing Education was completed over the Winter session. The ground breaking for the new Zarb School of Business building, with a connection to CV Starr, is planned for Wednesday May 10, 2017 at 11:30am. The renovation of the Rathskeller in the Student Center are currently in progress. Hofstra's new Work Order System software, WebTMA, is now available to all Hofstra faculty and staff via the Hofstra portal. Contact the office at (516) 463-6619 to request a 10 minute familiarization via the web, as we move forward with the newest technology and processing of requests.
- East Pedestrian Bridge Closure - April 24-July 15 - The East Pedestrian Bridge (Connecting the Hagedorn Hall Lot to the Hofstra Bubble Lot) will be closed beginning Monday, April 24, 2017, and will remain closed until Saturday July 15, 2017. During this time, the bridge staircases at both the North and South Entrances will be completely replaced.
- Planning is underway for the new building for the Frank G. Zarb School of Business with a connection to CV Starr.
- Parking areas have been completed and are open on the southeast corner of the campus with entrances from Uniondale Avenue.
- Construction is underway for the modification of Student Center lower level spaces located in the area of the current Rathskeller/ Greenhouse space. See the latest renderings in the Facilities and Operations photo file on this webpage!
- Renovation of the former Armory building on Oak Street has been completed. The building is now known as the Oak Street Center and includes the offices of the Hofstra University Continuing Education, the Business Development Center and the Hofstra ROTC program.
- Continuation of the residence hall townhouse renovations, with five buildings in Colonial Square Far East, is scheduled for the Summer 2017.
- Netherlands and Colonial Square Townhouses - The five year project continued in Summer 2016 at the Netherlands North Residence Complex, with improvements including floor surfaces, energy efficient lighting, furnishings, appliances and utilities.
- The Toni and Martin Sosnoff Theater, John Cranford Adams Playhouse - A refurbishment of the interior theater in the John Cranford Adams Playhouse theater was completed in the Summer 2016. The theater was named The Toni and Martin Sosnoff Theater
- Hagedorn Hall - Technical upgrades and restructuring of office and classroom space was completed in Summer 2016.
- Gittleson Hall Labs and Classrooms - The four year project continued with multiple upgrades including exterior facing, window replacement, technical upgrades, new classroom and lounge space.
- Read about the third electric vehicle charging station in the Student Center East Parking area.
- Locate the new Water Bottle Filling Hydration Stations here.
- Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) Silver certification was awarded for the extension of the Hofstra Northwell School of Medicine west addition in May 2016.
- The expansion of the Zarb School of Business is in the design phase, connecting to the CV Starr Building with a second floor bridge. The new building is being designed with the goal of LEED Silver Certification with the United States Green Building Council (USGBC).
The holidays are here, and the Fall Semester concludes with the Mid Year Commencement ceremonies at 7pm in the Sondra and David S. Mack Arena Wednesday, December 21st. The January Session will begin on Tuesday, January 3rd and schedules for January Session facilities operating hours are found here. Facilities and Operations offices will close at 5pm on Thursday December 22nd, and reopen on Tuesday January 3, 2017. Public Safety remains open 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Contact the office at (516) 463-6606.
We at Facilities and Operations would like to wish the Hofstra community a Happy New Year!
- The ideaHub opened in early 2016 in the Scott Skodnek Business Development Center in the Donald E. Axinn Library. The renovation of the facility was completed in January 2016. A state-of-the-art interactive collaborative laboratory for students interested in entrepreneurship, the hub is centrally located in Library Room 246.
- A third electric vehicle charging station was added in May to the Student Center East Parking area. Read more about Hofstra's commitment to the project here.
Summer Project Work
- The John Cranford Adams Playhouse renovation will continue with installation of acoustical treated wood millwork panels on the walls and ceilings, installation of new LED theater house lighting, replacement of carpeting, reconditioning of seating and interior paint.
- Renovations of Gittleson Hall continue with refacing and window replacement, following the completion of upgrades to the classrooms and laboratories completed in early 2016.
- The North Court of the Netherlands Residential Complex will be renovated, including floors, lighting and furnishing in the lounge areas. The project is the second phase of upgrades in the Netherlands and Colonial Square buildings that will be completed in the Summer of 2017.
See the Facilities and Operations Flickr photo file for new views of the Hofstra campus.
News from Facilities and Operations- June 2016
The 2015/2016 academic year ended with the Hofstra Gala in the David S. Mack Arena, the Dutch Festival and Commencement Ceremonies for some 2300 students and their families in the Arena. The Office of Event Management hosts the Summer Conference 2016 season is in progress. Hofstra was recently awarded the Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) Silver Certification for the Hofstra Northwell School of Medicine addition in May 2016. The distinction is a property of the U.S. Green Building Council, a non-profit organization devoted to increasing the use of sustainable and green building practices. Grounds and Arboretum Director Fred Soviero was presented the 2016 President's Award from the New York State Arborists (NYSA) for his years of dedicated volunteer service to the arboriculture industry. Read more here.
Fall 2014/Spring 2015
On March 2, 2015, at a Press Conference announcing the grand opening of the Hofstra North Shore/ LIJ School of Medicine Expansion were President of Hofstra University Stuart Rabinowitz, Dean of the Hofstra North Shore/LIJ School of Medicine Lawrence Smith, Hofstra Vice President for Facilities and Operations Joseph Barkwill, Hofstra Director of Engineering, Design and Construction Richard Leddy and Hofstra Assistant Project Manager Sheryl Neubauer. For more information visit the School of Medicine webpage.
Medical School Extension Opened January 2015
The Hofstra North Shore- LIJ Medical School extension was opened in January 2015 featuring state of the art classrooms and lecture halls, technology and equipment, as well as lab and office space. The building is the first planned LEED certified building on the campus. LEED, or Leadership in Energy & Environmental Design, is a green building certification program that recognizes best-in-class building strategies and practices. Visit the School of Medicine website for more information about the grand opening ceremony of the new School of Medicine building on Monday, March 2nd.