Please Visit the Parking Section for Information Regarding Parking Tickets
What We Do
Student escorts are available daily between dusk and dawn to walk any member of the Hofstra community to his or her car or residence hall. Student escorts receive special training, are equipped with Hofstra University radios, and assist the Department of Public Safety in reporting any suspicious activity. Student escorts wear blue shirts and yellow jackets for easy identification. When you need an escort, call (516) 463-6606 or ask a Public Safety Officer for assistance.
The Hofstra University shuttle bus service provides the Hofstra community transportation throughout the campus. There are also scheduled stops at the Long Island Railroad, as well as at local shopping centers and restaurants. For schedules and information visit our web site, stop by the Hofstra Information Center, or call (516) 463-7878.
Motorist Assistance Program
The Motorist Assistance Program helps community members with motor vehicle problems on campus. Public Safety can retrieve keys, jump-start dead batteries, help with a flat tire, or tow a disabled vehicle to a local service station.
Lost and Found
Lost and Found is located in the Hofstra Information Center and is open 24 hours a day. You may call (516) 463-6606 to inquire about a lost item. Recovered items may be claimed after proper identification has been produced.
Victim Assistance Program
Students, faculty, and staff are encouraged to report incidents of crime. The Department of Public Safety will assist in reporting incidents to the police and, if necessary, will also provide assistance dealing with the court system. The Department of Public Safety will also assist in obtaining other necessary services such as medical and counseling services.
All residence halls are staffed by Hofstra University students (Resident Safety Representatives) 24 hours per day, seven days per week. Resident Safety Representatives are trained at the beginning of each semester and also receive refresher training during the semester.
Public Safety officers patrol the campus on foot, bicycles and patrol vehicles. Officers also patrol academic and residential buildings.
Hofstra University wants the Hofstra community to feel comfortable when accessing buildings during the evening and at night. Therefore, we created a preferred pathway which will provide access to most university buildings. The Physical Plant department has provided lighting for the whole pathway and Public Safety has lined the pathway with emergency telephones and increased the patrols. We recommend that if you need to get to a building in the evening hours, you utilize this pathway.
Parking is available for all vehicles registered with the Department of Public Safety. Prompt registration of vehicles (including changes in state license plate numbers when necessary), proper display of the University parking permit and hang tag, and observance of all parking regulations are required to retain these privileges. There is no fee for parking permits. Parking permits and hang tags may be obtained at the Department of Public Safety Monday – Friday between the hours of 8:30 A.M. and 4:30 P.M. Copies of campus vehicle regulations are also available. Parking for disabled individuals is available for those who receive authorization from the Hofstra Health and Wellness Center. The proper parking permit must be displayed.
If you were issued a parking ticket, please visit our Hofstra University Parking Ticket System to take action on parking tickets which were issued to you by Hofstra University.
Emergency telephones are located throughout the campus at the following locations:
- Entrance to the Human Resources Center
- North East Corner of the Human Resources Center
- Swim Center Gate
- Physical Education Center – East Side, Back Doors
- Physical Education Center Entrance – West Side Near Steps
- North East of the Hofstra Dome in the Parking Lot
- North Campus Entrance to the West Footbridge
- South Campus Entrance to the West Footbridge
- North Campus Entrance to the East Footbridge
- South Campus Entrance to the East Footbridge
- South Campus Entrance to the Center Footbridge
- Recreation Center Entrance
- Southwest Corner of Constitution Hall in Parking Lot
- Alliance Hall Entrance
- Bill of Rights Hall Entrance
- Constitution Hall Entrance
- Estabrook Hall Entrance
- Enterprise Hall Entrance
- Vander Poel Hall Entrance
- Rear of the Netherlands Complex
- Front of Nassau/Suffolk Hall
- Colonial Square Far East Entrance
- Corner of Hofstra Boulevard and Liberty Boulevard on Intramural Field
- C.V. Starr Hall Entrance
- Margiotta Hall Entrance
- Parking Field 1E – East of Butler Annex
- Chemistry/Physics Building Entrance
- Gallon Wing/California Avenue
- Southwest of Breslin Hall
- Southwest of Lowe Hall
- South Side of Adams Hall
- Hagedorn Hall Parking Lot
- School of Law Entrance
- Security Booth in School of Law Parking Lot
- Weller Hall/2C Parking Field
- Memorial Quad
- North West Corner of Stadium Parking
- West Side of Parking Field #3 Near Primrose Gate
- Softball Field – North Side
- Field Hockey Athletic Field
- North East Corner of Barnard Hall
- Parking Field #6 at Earle Ovington Boulevard Fence Line
- Graduate Residence Hall Entrance
- Holland House Road @ Admissions Center
- Roosevelt Quad
- Colonial Square West Parking Field @ Hofstra Boulevard
- Corner of Colonial Square Drive by Jamestown House
- West Circle Road near the Student Center
- Salztmann Center Gate by the pedestrian bridge
- South side of Weed Hall and Adams Hall
- South Side of Hofstra Hall
- California Avenue near the Mason Walkway
- California Avenue near Gittleson Hall
- California Avenue near the Law School gate
- C.V. Starr near the Meadowbrook Entrance
- Stadium Gate near the Plant Building
Campus Alert Notification Network (CANN)
A comprehensive notification structure to alert the campus community of an emergency. Sign up online to receive emergency notifications by providing your personal telephone contact information. CANN includes the following methods of communication:
- Phone or text message
- Public address system
- The campus alert page of the Hofstra Web site
- Novell System – pop up message
- HOFCAST network
- The Hofstra television service
- Campus alert hotline: (516) 463-1234
The Department of Public Safety regularly-
- Presents crime prevention lectures and discussions for groups of any size.
- Inspects Hofstra properties and promptly makes repairs necessary to ensure safety and security.
- Requires Public Safety Managers to walk through the campus to review lighting and other environmental concerns.
- Distributes information and crime prevention brochures to the community.