Welcome to Hofstra University’s K-12 Educational Leadership Programs!
Hofstra University offers a variety of graduate level programs that serve to prepare for administrative leadership roles in K-12 settings. Our Educational Leadership and Policy programs provide an interdisciplinary exploration of important foundational and policy issues in education and a comprehensive introduction to educational leadership. Students interested in studying leadership in K-12 schools are exposed to current theories, concepts, and learning models to assume administrative positions in this environment.
Check out our program options below to determine which program track is the right one for you!
Choose Your Program
- Educational Leadership and Policy Studies, MSEd
- Educational Leadership, AC
- School District Business Leader, AC
Frequently Asked Questions
- Which program offers certification in leadership?
- The Educational Leadership, AC program leads to NYS certification in both School Building and School District Leadership (SBL/SDL). The School District Business Leadership, AC leads to NYS certification as a School District Business Leader. The Educational Leadership and Policy Studies, MSEd is a non-certification track master’s program that provides an interdisciplinary exploration of important foundational and policy issues in education and basic introduction to educational leadership.
- Am I eligible for the MSEd?
- Candidates that are not seeking formal NYS certification in Educational Leadership or who are working as an administrator perhaps in private settings like private/charter schools, non-profits etc. are eligible to apply to the MSEd. Since this program does not offer formal NYS certification candidates can have a varied background for this program.
- Do I need teaching experience to be eligible?
- Applicants for the Advanced Certificate in Educational Leadership must have at least two years of PreK-12 certified classroom teaching or pupil personnel experience and possess a master’s degree. SDBL Applicants must have completed a master’s degree and a minimum of five years of full-time experience in a professional position in educational or non-educational organizations. A master’s degree in business administration or accounting is preferred.
- How long does the Educational Leadership programs take to complete?
- Candidates in the Educational Leadership AC program can expect to complete the 30 credit program in two academic years. Candidates within the SDBL, AC program will either complete the full 38 credit program option if they do not hold SBL/SDL certification and could expect to complete the program in two and a half academic years; for those who hold NYS SBL/SDL certification could expect to complete the 15 credit track in as little as one and a half academic years. The MSEd is a 36 credit program which could students on average two-three years to complete.
- How will courses integrate into my current schedule?
- These programs are designed for working professionals. Courses that meet face to face will meet between 4:30PM-6:20PM or 6:30PM-8:20PM. Other courses may meet in a hybrid formats allowing for more flexibility.
Hear From Our Students and Alumni
Assistant Professor and Program Director, Educational Leadership & Policy
Rebecca Natow, JD, EdD
Dr. Natow is an expert in higher education, educational policy, and
qualitative research methods.