Parent & Family Programs

Medical Attention

How Hofstra Supports Students When They Need Medical Attention

Information for Parents

What services does Student Health Services provide?
Student Health Services offers integrated health care where we partner with our students to promote health, wellness, and personal growth. This includes assessment, diagnosis and treatment of injuries and illnesses, as well as health education, and appropriate follow up.  

Appointments with our clinical team are available on weekends and evenings as well, to better suit our students needs.   We encourage all student to take advantage of our services to avoid having to find healthcare when the need arises.
Additional services include clinical clearances for all programs with a clinical rotation, screening for tuberculosis, COVID-19 testing, STIs, women’s health services – including contraception, and laboratory testing.

If prescription medication is needed, it can be sent to a pharmacy of the patient’s choice. Student Health Services routinely prescribes medications as needed and can also work with a student’s medical team at home to continue an existing treatment plan.
Student Health Services does not endorse any particular pharmacy. Several pharmacies in the area will deliver to campus, and the campus shuttle may also include stops near major retail pharmacies.
 See a list of pharmacies in the Family Handbook, p. 54. Some of them may deliver to campus.

Health Insurance
All Hofstra students can be seen at Student Health Services for free.

Immunizations are provided at cost. Laboratory testing and radiology exams are billed to insurance and the cost is the responsibility of the student – limited assistance with cost reduction is available as needed.

We strongly urge all students who are covered by insurance to enter their insurance information into their Hofstra Portal on the Medicat app to allow laboratory fees to be billed directly to the insurance company.

If a student is referred to a local hospital and or other health care provider, the cost of that care is the responsibility of the student.

Student Health Services operates on an appointment basis, which should be scheduled in as far in advance as possible.  Patients who are ill can typically be seen within 24 hours.  If a patient feels they need to be seen the same day they will be called back by a clinical team member and advised of availability.

Students may schedule appointments online through their Hofstra Portal in the Medicat App or by calling Student Health Services (SHS) at 516-463-6745.

All students are requested to complete their consent for treatment, medical record forms and, if insured, enter current insurance information on the secure Medicat Health Portal prior to the visit. To access: 1) Log on to your MyHofstra portal ( using your Hofstra ID number and password. 2) Go to MY Apps 3) Click on Medicat.

What should my student do for a sore throat or other minor illness?
Please advise your student to make an appointment with Student Health Services either online through their Hofstra Portal in the Medicat App or by calling Student Health Services (SHS) at 516-463-6745. Student Health Services can not provide specific clinical advice unless we evaluate the patient.

My student reports being medically withdrawn from classes? What does that mean?
When students are medically withdrawn from classes that means that they are missing proof of the immunizations as required by New York State. When medically withdrawn, residential students are also required to leave their residence hall.

To avoid being medically withdrawn, students should submit immunization records before classes begin. Students receive multiple email reminders from Student Health Services prior to the deadline notifying them of this requirement. The student should check their Hofstra Portal in the Medicat App to make sure their immunization record is both uploaded and the dates of their required vaccinations are manually entered and, if applicable, sign the meningitis declination form. Once the required documents are in the portal, SHS will verify the information and, once verified, the hold will be removed and students will be automatically re-enrolled in their classes.

Does Student Health Services staff write and dispense prescriptions?
The Nurse Practitioners can prescribe medications, if needed, that your student can fill at a local pharmacy.

Please note that the Hofstra Shuttle takes students to the local shopping mall where a Target with a pharmacy is located, and there are several local pharmacies that offer delivery services. Student Health Services does not endorse any particular pharmacy.

My student takes medication on an ongoing basis. How can prescriptions be refilled?
Your student’s original prescriber should provide the prescriptions for chronic conditions. If there is an imminent need or extenuating circumstances, Student Health Services may be able to help facilitate care.

What health-related items do you suggest to bring to campus?
A copy of the insurance card|
Name, address, and telephone number of the primary care provider
Knowledge of name and dosage of medications that have been prescribed
Emergency contact name and telephone number(s)
Pain reliever/fever reducer
Hot/cold pack
Elastic bandage
Adhesive bandages
Gauze pads and tape
Over-the-counter cold/allergy relief medicines
For contact lens wearers, have eyeglasses available (in case of injury, infection or loss)

Can parents know if their students visited Student Health Services and discuss the treatment?
If your student is 18 years of age or older, we generally cannot discuss their treatment with you without their permission.  

Student Health Services encourage all students to involve family members in their care as appropriate and can help facilitate that.

What happens if my student experiences a medical emergency?
Students should call Public Safety 516-463-6789 if they need immediate assistance; all other calls can be directed to the non-emergency number, 516-463-6606, to discuss the medical assistance they need with the Public Safety dispatcher. Northwell Health’s Center for Emergency Medical Services (CEMS) provides ambulance coverage to campus 24/7/365.

All Public Safety Officers are at a minimum certified first responders. If necessary, the officers will request that an ambulance respond. The medical personnel will make the determination if the student needs to be transported to a hospital.

Can my student be forced to go to the emergency department (ED)?
Once an ambulance is called, the medical personnel will make appropriate medical determinations. Please know that the health and safety of your student are of the utmost importance for all health care providers. Please Note that the University is not responsible for the ambulance transportation costs.

Will anyone accompany my student to the emergency room (ER)?
Your student will go to the ER in the ambulance alone. If your student is a resident student, Public Safety notifies Hofstra's director on duty that a student had been transported to the ER. If conscious and able, students will contact their parents and family members. In a life-threatening situation, the hospital personnel will work with Hofstra staff to notify parents and family members.

To which hospital will my student be transported?
Northwell Health CEMS will transport the student to the hospital of their choice, as appropriate. Hofstra's Public Safety typically has information to which hospital a student was transported. Public Safety can be reached at 516-463-6606.

Does Hofstra notify families if their students are transported to hospital?
Our staff strongly advises students, if conscious, to call their parents prior to any transport. Please have a conversation with your student and ask that they do. Typically, the hospital staff notifies families in serious situations. In addition, the University reserves the right to notify families when students are transported to the hospital or hospitalized, especially when there is concern for the welfare of a student, including serious or repeated encounters with alcohol or other drugs, or when a student presents harm to self and/or others.

Can my student get copies of the hospital or emergency room records?
Certainly. Please ask your student to request them from the hospital and send you copies of the medical records. Hospitals may charge minimal costs for the records.

What should my student do after the emergency room visit?
Your student should follow medical personnel's advice about the care after the discharge. Also, they are advised to visit Student Health Services for a follow-up visit.

Where can my student find information about the flu or COVID-19 vaccination, or any services given by Student Health Services?
Student Health Services offers flu vaccine every year.  For helpful and timely health information, please encourage your student to consult

Is my student required to purchase insurance through Hofstra?
Students who are U.S. citizens, permanent residents, or have a non-student immigration status are not required nor able to purchase insurance through Hofstra. F-1 and J-1 international students must purchase medical insurance, and are automatically enrolled and billed for their international health insurance plan through their Hofstra accounts. The insurer is Arthur J. Gallagher and Co.

Does my student need a medical insurance card to visit Student Health Services?
No. Matriculated students have free access to the services of both Student Health Services and Student Counseling Services. Students should have their Hofstra ID cards with them when visiting Student Health Services.

When will my student need a medical insurance card?
Please make sure that your student has the medical insurance card when coming to campus. The students need the insurance card for visits to an outside health provider or the emergency room, and when laboratory tests are ordered. If you have separate prescription insurance, your student will also need that card to fill prescriptions.

What does my international student’s medical insurance cover?
Please know that the U.S. medical system might be different than the one in your country. Please visit Arthur J. Gallagher and Co., and carefully read about the coverage and your costs.

May I purchase tuition (not medical) insurance for my student?
Yes. We encourage you to purchase the reasonably priced Tuition Refund Plan to protect your significant investment in your child's education. This plan may help minimize your potential loss if your student needs to withdraw from classes and leave school during the semester due to illness or accident. Note that the plan must be purchased before the first day of classes each semester. Please visit Tuition Refund Plan page for more information.

What kind of counseling does the Student Counseling Services provide? 
A student may participate in counseling to discuss emotional difficulties or personal concerns related directly to academic or other matters. The collaborative counseling process is used to clarify problems, establish realistic goals, and develop active, short-term treatment solutions. If a student needs long-term counseling, the Student Counseling Services staff will provide consultation to help students find appropriate off-campus referral options. For more information, please visit Parent Guide to Counseling Services. Students may call Student Counseling Services at 516-463-2273 for an appointment. The services offered in Student Counseling Services are free to matriculated students.

My student has participated in psychological counseling prior to coming to Hofstra. How can this continue?
Your child may continue with personal counseling at Hofstra University, as well as attend group counseling and psychoeducational workshops that are generally offered throughout the academic year. Any enrolled student is eligible to receive short-term individual counseling and participate in all programs, including psychoeducational workshops and group counseling at no cost. In some cases, students require longer-term or specialized therapy.  In these cases, the office of Student Counseling Services can facilitate referrals to providers located in the community.

What should my student do in case of a psychological emergency?
In the event of on-campus psychological emergencies, a staff member from the office of Student Counseling Services can respond to a student in distress. During regular office hours, please ask your student to call Student Counseling Services at 516-463-2273 or, in an emergency, Public Safety at 516-463-6789. In the evening, when the office is closed, an on-call counselor may be contacted by calling Public Safety at 516-463-6606. More information about the hours and location is found at

Can a parent advise Student Counseling Services staff about the student’s health history?
Yes, parents should feel free to provide critical information concerning their child’s mental health history when they believe it is essential to intervention and when the student  is unable or unwilling to provide the information. Professional practice standards and confidentiality policies, however, may not permit the counselor receiving information to disclose information about the student, including whether the student is engaged in counseling. In most cases, it is preferred that a student convey essential treatment information directly to their counselor.

Can a parent know if a student participates in counseling?
The identity of those using counseling services along with the personal disclosures revealed in the counseling relationship are regarded as confidential. This information is shared only with expressed written consent from the client for each visit, or when law, regulations, or emergency circumstances permit it.

My student takes psychotropic medicine. What should he/she do?
Be sure that your son or daughter has ample medication to reach his or her next prescription cycle or visit with the medical doctor. In many cases, it is advised that local medical providers be identified to assist with psychiatric prescription medication and treatment monitoring. Please advise your student not to share his/her medication with anyone and to store it in a safe place.