Residence Life Housing Selection
Incoming undergraduate, graduate, law, and medical students are assigned on a first-come, first-served basis based on the student’s housing application submission date. When space becomes limited, the Office of Residence Life reserves the right to assign space based upon geographic distance from campus. Information regarding the housing application process is sent to the student’s home in their admissions acceptance packet.
Students who wish to apply for housing must complete the two-step New Resident Application Process outlined below. Once both steps have been completed, the Office of Residence Life will assign a housing space and will communicate the housing assignment to newly assigned students by sending an email to the student’s Hofstra Pride email account. This mailing will include where the student will be living, along with contact information for any roommates/suitemates (if applicable), and information about moving into the residence halls. General information regarding moving into the residence halls can be found at hofstra.edu/checkin.
New Resident Application Process
Eligibility Requirements for Incoming Residents:
- Students must be admitted to Hofstra University
- Students must pay the $300 housing deposit
- Students must register for a full-time course load during the orientation session they attend and maintain a full-time course load throughout the academic year.
Paying Your Housing Deposit
Students can submit the required $300 housing deposit online for the appropriate term. Housing deposits may be paid via electronic check online through e-bill, which is accessible through the student portal at my.hofstra.edu. Students paying by cash, check or money order must bring their deposit to Student Financial Services, Suite 206 Memorial Hall.
In order to pay online, please follow these steps:
- Log in to the Hofstra portal at My.Hofstra.edu.
- Click on the "Navigation Menu" in the top left-hand corner.
- Click on the "Student Services" menu.
- Click on the "Student Payment Center" under General.
- Click on "My Payment Center."
- Select the Deposit tab.
- Select term for which you are applying (e.g., fall 2023).
- Select deposit payment type (i.e., “Housing Deposit”).
Continuing students - do NOT select “Admission and Housing Deposit” This is only for newly admitted students in the upcoming fall).
Completing Your Housing Application
After paying your housing deposit using the steps above, students should complete their housing application. To complete your application, please follow the steps below:
- Log into my.hofstra.edu.
- Click on "Navigation Menu" in the top left-hand corner.
- Click on the "Student Services Menu."
- Click on the "Residence Life Menu."
- Click on "Residence Life Room Application."
- Select the term for which you are applying to reside on campus.
- Follow instructions to complete the housing application and select a dining plan, as it is a condition of residency for all undergraduate students.
New Resident Assignment Process
Students who have made their deposit and submitted housing applications will be assigned on a date-received basis. Housing assignments will be communicated electronically to student Pride accounts throughout the summer.
Specialty Housing Options
- Living-Learning Communities
Eight thematic "living-learning communities" are associated with several first-year clusters and seminars, giving students the opportunity to live with many of the same students they are in class with, as well as students who share the same passion for leadership, business, communications, math, and sciences as well as health science issues and the arts. For more information, please visit the Living-Learning Communities page.
Available to First-Year Students, including Commuters and Transfers.
(Not available to sophomore-, junior-, or senior-standing students)
*See bulletin.hofstra.edu for information regarding class standing.
- Co-Ed Housing
Read about Co-Ed Housing
- Housing Accommodations
Read about Housing Accommodations
Commuting Students Looking to Move onto Campus
Current commuting students who wish to reside on campus have the ability to apply for housing at any time by submitting the required $300 housing deposit and completing a housing application online at my.hofstra.edu. Click on the New Resident Application Process for directions on how to submit the $300 housing deposit and complete a housing application.