Student employment is intended to be a learning experience that complements a student’s academic and career goals and provides valuable work experience. By working part-time, students are able to earn money to help defray the cost of attending college. Additionally, student employees are a valuable asset to help meet the staffing needs of the University.
- For students new to the University, working on campus helps develop a sense of community and belonging. Students who feel they are a part of their university tend to do better scholastically.
- Students with little or no employment history may establish a work record and learn the fundamental skills of employment such as punctuality, communication, cooperation, and time management.
- Students gain preparation for the world of work through processes of interviewing, hiring, training, supervision, relating to coworkers and the public, meeting expectations, and achievement of goals.
- Students have opportunities to sample several career choices through varied work experiences.
- Students with defined career objectives gain related experience that enriches their educational program. Students with otherwise limited exposure and opportunity for networking may also make valuable contacts with professionals in their chosen fields.