How to Report Sexual Misconduct
If you believe you have been a victim of discriminatory harassment, relationship violence, or sexual misconduct by another student, you may make a complaint through the Department of Public Safety at 516-463-6606 or by visiting the Mack Public Safety and Information Center located on the corner of Hempstead Turnpike and California Avenue. Public Safety is available 24 hours a day.
The Student Policy Prohibiting Discriminatory Harassment, Relationship Violence and Sexual Misconduct provides important information regarding your rights and options in pursuing your complaint, including a description of the disciplinary process and further details about resources available to you. Important information about making a complaint:
- Victims have the right to counseling, medical treatment, and reporting of their case through the off-campus legal system and on-campus disciplinary process, as well as the right to refuse all of the above.
- All students involved will be treated with dignity and respect by campus personnel.
- The Department of Public Safety will assist students who wish to report their complaint to off-campus police.
- Victims will be made aware of existing counseling and other support services that are available, both on and off campus.
- Any victim who does not wish to remain in his or her present residence hall or class section may be granted a transfer to an available housing space or class section, upon request, if reasonably available.
- During the investigation and until resolution of the matter, the University may take steps to protect the victim as necessary, including but not limited to no-contact orders, housing relocation, removal of the accused student from housing, notification of alternate transportation options, and making a class schedule adjustment.
- The on-campus conduct process may result in sanctions including disciplinary probation, suspension or expulsion of an accused student found responsible for a violation.