Science & Innovation Center
Welcome to the new Science & Innovation Center
- a state-of-the-art 75,000-square-foot facility shared by the Hofstra Northwell School of Nursing and Physician Assistant Studies and the DeMatteis School of Engineering and Applied Science. This energy-efficient, 4-story new construction, has been designed to maximize hands-on learning and team collaboration, and incorporate the latest technology.
Undergraduate and graduate nursing students will benefit from leading edge lab facilities including a full medical/surgical simulation wing including a clinical skills lab, patient care lab, and two operating room lab spaces for cardiac profusion and anesthesia (CRNA). The labs are equipped with high-fidelity mannequins (patients) controlled by a sophisticated console behind a two-way mirror providing an immersive hospital simulation.
Science & Innovation Center Construction Time-Lapse
Engineering and computer science students will also benefit from the latest in technology for their studies. Brand new labs focused on big data, robotics, computer architecture, UNIX systems and graphics, virtual reality, and other computer science-related fields are available for classes, research, and experimentation. Additionally, a bioengineering lab, a tissue culture facility, and an industrial engineering manufacturing lab are now in the new building. The Center also boasts a large makerspace to facilitate student prototyping and the first-year engineering lab experience.
The Science & Innovation Center marks the largest structural addition to Hofstra in 20 years and will accelerate the University’s mission to promote cross-disciplinary collaborations and partnerships with the local community.
Tours with the Deans
Highlighted Features of the New Building
- Robust low- and high-fidelity clinical learning suites for simulation in medical surgeries, cardiac perfusion, and anesthesia.
- 2 fully equipped operating room suites.
- 16 ambulatory patient rooms.
- State-of-the-art intensive care suite.
- Spacious student study rooms.
- Outdoor green spaces.
- Eight science labs, including Big Data, Intelligence Systems/Cognition/Robotics, Virtual Reality, and Gaming and Graphics, supported by many of the more than 200 new computer workstations located throughout the building.
- Spacious bioengineering laboratory suite comprised of six research and instructional areas.
- Large makerspace for project realization, and an industrial engineering lab for analyzing work activities.
- Modern first-year engineering lab with tool room enabling team design and project development in the first semester.