Audition and Application
All students wishing to declare a major in Music Performance, Music Business, Music Education, Music Theory/Composition, Jazz and Commercial Music, or Music History/Literature must audition for acceptance into these programs. The following steps should be taken as soon as possible:
1. Request an Audition Packet:
Click the link below and fill out the form to request an audition packet:
2. Apply to Hofstra University:
You must complete a formal application to Hofstra University before you may audition. You can apply online now.
3. Schedule an Audition:
Department-wide unified auditions will be held Saturday, February 3, 2018 and Saturday, February 24, 2018. When you receive your audition packet, you will find an audition scheduling form among its contents. On this form will be a Web address; you will be able to request an audition date by going to the Web address listed on the form. This will ensure that you have an audition time on the appropriate day. Specific audition requirements are as follows:
- Singers should prepare, from memory, two contrasting songs from the classical repertoire. At least one of the songs must be in one of the following languages: Italian, French, German or Spanish. A music theater song may be included as a third selection; singers interested in the Jazz & Commercial Music Degree may substitute a jazz standard for the third selection. The auditionee's sight reading ability will also be tested. Please bring a copy of your music, in the correct key and in a book or folder, for the accompanist. An accompanist will be provided by the music department for all voice auditions; there is no need to send copies of your music in advance. (PLEASE NOTE: Students interested in the Minor in Musical Theater need to audition through the Drama department, not the Department of Music. Please visit the Drama Department for more information).
- Percussionists should go here for specific audition requirements.
- Pianists should go here for specific audition requirements.
- Jazz Students(Except SINGERS and PERCUSSIONISTS; please see respective instructions above) should be prepared to play the following:
- All jazz scales and modes
- A Blues for improvisation
- Two jazz standards of their choice
- A prepared etude or solo transcription
- All Other Instrumentalists should prepare diatonic and chromatic scales, as well as two solos in contrasting styles displaying their 1) technical proficiency and 2) lyrical/ interpretive ability. Unless you are a percussionist or a pianist, you are expected to bring your own instruments to the audition.
Please make sure all correspondence regarding the auditions process is with the Department of Music, rather than with Hofstra Admissions. If you have any questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 516-463-5490.
The Department of Music at Hofstra University provides a number of Grants-in-Aid, ranging in total value from $5,000 to over $50,000 over a maximum of five (5) years, to undergraduates who demonstrate exceptional musical ability. While there are no restrictions as to the performance media, priority will be given to performers most needed by departmental organizations. All prospective students wishing to compete for a Grant-in-Aid must be sure to audition before March 15.
Unified Audition Dates:
Saturday, February 3, 2018
Saturday, February 24, 2018
Decision letters mailed by:
Late March/Early April, 2018
National Tuition Deposit Deadline:
May 1, 2018