If you are having any difficulty using this website, please contact the Help Desk at Help@nullHofstra.edu or 516-463-7777 or Student Access Services at SAS@nullhofstra.edu or 516-463-7075. Please identify the webpage address or URL and the specific problems you have encountered and we will address the issue.

Skip to Main Content
Graduate Counseling Programs

Careers in Counseling

Careers in Mental Health Counseling

Hofstra’s MA in Mental Health Counseling will prepare you for a variety of career options, as well as professional licensure. Professional licensure titles and the processes for obtaining these credentials are determined by each state. In New York State, it is called Licensed Mental Health Counselor (LMHC).  Other common professional titles include Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC) and Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor (LPCC).

You may work with youth, adults, or a geriatric population in a wide range of professional settings, including:

  • community mental health centers
  • wellness centers
  • inpatient/outpatient facilities
    • day programs (youth, adult, geriatric services)
    • partial and intensive hospitalization programs
  • public or private hospitals and healthcare settings
    • hospice and palliative care
    • trauma centers
  • domestic violence, emergency, and homeless shelters
  • residential treatment centers
  • correctional facilities
  • child and family service agencies
  • employee assistance programs
  • social service agencies
  • private practice
  • community churches and other places of worship

Careers in School and College Student Development Counseling

Hofstra’s MSED in Counseling will prepare you to become a counselor at schools (K-12) or a professional at colleges and universities.

  • school counselor (K-12) is involved in academic and college advisement, promoting wellness and self-esteem, character education, conflict resolution, social skills, career guidance, and much more.  School counselors work with students, teachers, parents, and administrators in public or private elementary, middle, and high schools.
  • college student development counselor works with students, faculty, and administrators to provide developmental counseling and advisement support through co-curricular programming, student affairs offices, career services, university advisement, admissions, and other offices and departments at colleges and universities.

Careers in Substance Abuse Counseling

Substance Abuse Counselors work with individuals, families, and groups in various settings focusing on mental health, substance abuse, and alcohol and drug counseling. Settings include those of a mental health counselor, as well as schools, colleges, and universities.