If you are having any difficulty using this website, please contact the Help Desk at Help@nullHofstra.edu or 516-463-7777 or Student Access Services at SAS@nullhofstra.edu or 516-463-7075. Please identify the webpage address or URL and the specific problems you have encountered and we will address the issue.

Skip to Main Content

English Education Frequently Asked Questions

How do I know if the Master of Arts (M.A.) or Master of Science in Education (M.S. Ed.) program is right for me?
The Master of Arts program leads to professional certification for teachers who possess certification in English 7-12 or initial certification in English language arts. Essentially, the M.A. program is for teachers who already possess teacher certification and would like advanced study in the curriculum, pedagogy, and content of English language arts and/or would like to concentrate their studies in middle level 5-6, gifted education, or bilingual education certification extensions.

The Master of Science in Education program leads to New York state initial teacher certification in secondary English language arts, grades 7-12. Essentially, this program is for individuals who are seeking certification in English Education. This program requires the successful completion of an undergraduate degree in English (or its equivalent), with a minimum of 36 credits completed in the content area.

Who do I contact for more information?

To learn more about Hofstra's programs in English education, please contact:
Victor Jaccarino
Adjunct Instructor of Teaching, Learning and Technology
Phone: 516-463-5768
Email: Victor.Jaccarino[at]Hofstra.edu